© Dr Eric Ritchie
BEESTON LODGE AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALLS, WOLLATON PARK (south east side)
NOTTINGHAM, NOTTINGHAM, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Dr Eric Ritchie
19 April 2007
12 July 1972
Date of last amendment:
30 November 1995
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
646-1/6/747 WOLLATON PARK
12-JUL-72 WOLLATON PARK
BEESTON LODGE AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WA
(Formerly listed as:
BEESTON LODGE, GATEWAY TO WOLLATON PARK)
Lodge to Country House, and attached walls. 1832, designed by Sir Jeffry Wyatville for the 6th Lord Middleton. Defensive fireproof construction. Coursed Gritstone ashlar, with fine punched face with draughted margins. Flat roofs finished in asphalt. Heavy Gothick style with "martello-type" round outer towers, with battlements and large batter to base of walls. Square central gatehouse connected to the towers at second floor level. 3 storeys, the third within the central gatehouse.
Gatehouse has a central Tudor arched carriage entrance with ashlar oriel window above, 5 lights, the soffit of which disguises two square openings into the third floor for defensive purposes (possibly firing a gun through). Double timber gates to carriage arch, each harr-hung and set in reveal, reinforced with cast-iron outer frame and 12 panels inset with strapwork design. All cast-iron rails and stiles bolted to the frame. Modern steel deer fencing fixed to outer reveal. Moulded string course to central gatehouse to both Derby Road and Park elevations.
Rear elevation has 4 slit windows on the second floor. Parapet with 4 corner pinnacles finished with huge cast-iron octagonal chimney pots. Deep set narrow slit windows throughout, cast-iron frames, replacement C20 glazing, one surviving diamond-paned leaded-light window to rear elevation. At ground floor level within the arched entrance; opposing Tudor style plank and batten doors with applied fillets, studded and reinforced in iron. Soffit to carriage entrance; cast-iron decorative beams supporting ashlar stone slab floor. Beyond lodge on each side ashlar wall bordering Derby Road, with gabled stone coping. Each side approximately 3m high and 25m long.
INTERIOR; the construction is fireproof and defensive throughout. Floors; cast-iron decorative beams support stone slab floors. Walls, fine tooled ashlar, no plaster. Metal-plated heavy-duty doors onto central roof, each door riveted and bolted, one door removed from its hinges and lying flat. Internal flues incorporated into staircase designs. Enclosed stone winder stair to all levels. Internal doors of timber, metal plated, with integral locking bolts, harr-hung on pivoting hinges for added security, designed to close flush into recessed rebates within ashlar. 2nd floor; cast-iron fireplaces with small hob-grates, fireplaces to other floors have Tudor-arched stone surrounds. 4 anchor points on main roof, of unknown function, possibly to support a cannon (cf reference). The structure is a rare type that is virtually unaltered.
This lodge was built following the Nottingham Reform riots in October 1831, and it has important historical links with the history of Wollaton Hall and these riots.
References; Middleton Collection Hallward Library (Mi LM 36/1); "1832 Beeston New lodge built"...two circular lodges....of the martello kind.. with narrow slip windows to fire thro', similar to old Castles....battlements built to hide a cannon on the top", Smith, P. "Comfort and Security" (The Regency Great House, ed. Malcolm Airs, pub. OUP 1998), Smith, P. "Wollaton Hall: an Architectural and Historical Assessment" for Nottingham City Council August 2001 (pages 10,12), "A Statement of Occurences which took place at and near Nottingham on the 9th 10th and 11th of October, 1831" (Hallward Library MiF 12/18), The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979 - : 280.