© Mr David J Lewis LRPS
CHEWTON PLACE, CHEWTON ROAD (south east side)
COMPTON DANDO, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr David J Lewis LRPS
28 August 1999
19 June 1975
Date of last amendment:
08 March 1996
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST66NE COMPTON DANDO CHEWTON ROAD,
(South East Side)
3/10003 Chewton Place
(Formerly listed as :
19.06.75 CHEWTON ROAD (South East Side)
Detached house, now conference centre. Circa 1762; extended c.1786; altered early C19; extensively remodelled in 1860- 70; restored in 1968 after flood damage and further extended in 1987 -8. Colourwashed stucco with limestone ashlar dressings and gabled slate roofs. Classical style. Double-depth plan with central stair hall and reception rooms to either side; late C20 extensions to south-east and north-east corners. 2-storey; 9-window range. Main south front with central 3-bay recessed section flanked by 3-bay wing to left and 2-bay wing to right. Ground floor has section of projecting late C19 loggia to left which continues around the west front: circular columns with foliated capitals and plain entablature with bracketed cornice; decorative roundels above capitals with foliage and wolves' heads. The loggia is developed from projecting late C19 extension to centre providing porch and further accommodation; ashlar dressings and bracketed cornices tie the extension stylistically into the loggia. Porch with round-arched doorway giving onto loggia with part-glazed late C19 door and semicircular fanlight; sash window to south with glazing bars only in top section. Canted bay set centrally in extension with plate glass sashes; 2 late C19 French windows to loggia. C20 extension to south-east corner has two C20 12-pane sashes and one multi-paned window. First floor has late C20 12-pane sashes throughout. External stack to left with ashlar shaft and late C19 side colonettes; annorial stone above central first-floor window and round-arched balustrade to centre section with end colonettes connected to 2 ashlar roof stacks. Synunetrical2-storey; 5-window west front with recessed central bay and slightly projecting 2-bay wings. Loggia extends across southernmost wing; canted bay to northern wing with plate glass sashes and bracketed cornice; plain pedimented gables to wings with bracketed cornice. 2 French windows below loggia; 12-pane sashes to ground floor centre bay and throughout first floor. INTERIOR: Stairwell has mid C18 bracketed cornice and egg-and-dart frieze; late C19 staircase with carved blausters. Good late C19 cornice and central rose in ground floor room to north-west. HISTORICAL NOTE: The house was built as a mill owner's dwelling across the river from a paper mill on an island between two waterways. The mill was in operation until 17 49 when it and the owner's house was destroyed by fire. The house and mill were rebuilt by 1762 when the latter was producing logwood chips for the dying industry .The house was in domestic occupation unti11968 when it was bought by Imperial Tobacco for use as a training centre; sold in 1987, it is now used as a conference centre.