You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 459726  

Print Page



© Mr Colin Cundy

IoE Number: 459726
Location: CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT, CHURCH STREET (west side)
  DUDLEY, DUDLEY, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: Mr Colin Cundy
Date Photographed: 06 September 1999
Date listed: 11 March 1996
Date of last amendment: 11 March 1996
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SO 99 SW DUDLEY CHURCH STREET (west side), Lower Gornal 5/10017 Church of St James the Great GV II Anglican church. 1815-17 by Thomas Lee; enlarged 1837; refitted 1849 and restored 1899. Dressed stone. Slate and tile roofs. PLAN: The 1815-17 chapel-of-ease comprised a broad nave without aisles, but with a gallery at the west end and a west tower. North and south porches added circa 1837. Refitted and chancel added in 1849. Chancel rebuilt in 1899 and top stage of tower rebuilt in 1930. Gothic style. EXTERIOR: The broad nave has tall lancets with buttresses between. 3-stage west tower with angle buttresses; top stage with 2-light bell-openings and battlements, rebuilt in 1930. Polygonal chancel with angle buttresses, partly rendered. INTERIOR: Plastered walls. Open timber queen-post roof. West gallery on thin posts. Large moulded chancel arch and arch-braced chancel roof. Stone circular pulpit and polygonal font. Organ installed 1899. North window of apse 1902 by Ninian Comper. SOURCE: Ironbridge Institute, A Survey of Surviving Buildings and Remains from the Industrial Period in Gornal, 1991.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.