You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 459808  

Print Page



© Mr Paul Woolterton ARPS

IoE Number: 459808
Location: ST JAMES'S CHURCH, ST JAMES'S ROAD
  TEDDINGTON, RICHMOND UPON THAMES, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Mr Paul Woolterton ARPS
Date Photographed: 16 September 2007
Date listed: 07 March 1996
Date of last amendment: 07 March 1996
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TQ 1471 ST JAMES'S ROAD, Hampton 22/18/10059 St James's Church II Church, begun in 1864 by Wigginton (nave and chancel), completed with the tower by Romaine Walker and Tanner in 1888. Yellow stock brick with red brick and stone dressing. Slate roof. Gothic Revival style. Nave with aisles, tower at west end. Church enlarged in 1873 with addition of north aisle of 6 bays with transverse gables, which pierce roof of nave. Chancel enlarged and furnished in 1876-7 to Wigginton's plans. East window removed to west end and new window by Bailey inserted. South aisle and porch completed 1879. Tower, three stages with battlemented parapet, pinnacles and corner buttresses built 1887-8 to celebrate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee, by Romaine Walker and Tanner. Tall stone spire, pierced with brick banding, Clock by Smith and Derby added 1893. lNTERIOR: nave divided from aisles by 6 bay arcades with pointed arches resting on simple round piers with naturalistcally carved capitals, all different. Open timber roof. Pointed chancel arch with red and black brick banding bordered by decorative inscription: '0 come let us ,worship and fall down and kneel before the Lord our Maker'. Chancel has elaborate timber roof with pairs of arched braces. Triple lancet window divided by columns with carved capitals. Choir stalls with carved ends and pierced fronts. Carved angel heads on corbels supporting roof braces. Altar rail: alabaster and marble colonnettes. Minton tiles in decorative floor scheme which continues behind the altar. Carved stone reredos depicting angels, fruit, birds, wheat, and bread. Pulpit: hexagonal alabaster and stone. East window: 1876 by Bailey of London; the rest of the stained glass is Edwardian. Four mosaic panels depict saints. Brass eagle lectern 1882. Baptistry: brick vaulted ceiling with stone ribs. Triple light window, and 2-light window on either side. Octagonal stone font with carved panels and marble colonnettes, 1865.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.