© Mr John Cano-Lopez
WEST WYCOMBE PARK HOUSE,
WEST WYCOMBE, WYCOMBE, BUCKINGHAMSHIRE
Mr John Cano-Lopez
14 March 2005
09 January 1954
Date of last amendment:
09 January 1954
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SU 8294 10/6 9.1.54.
Later C17 or early C18 structure remodelled circa 1735-65 for Sir Francis
Dashwood Bart, Lord Le Despencer (1708-81). Stone and stucco house of
rectangular plan with long sides facing north and south. North front in
Palladian manner with projecting central pediment on 4 engaged Roman Ionic
columns. East elevation tetrastyle Doric portico with frescoes (in course
of restoration), to tympanum and to external wall of house, shown in
engraving of 1757.
South front by John Donovell circa 1760 (perhaps based on Palladio's Palazzo
Chiericati at Vicenza) has double, superimposed colonnade, Tuscan on ground
floor, Corinthian to 1st floor, with central projecting pediment; frescoes
on ground floor ceiling and east end wall. West front has Greek Ionic
hexastyle portico (based on the Temple of Teosiin Greece) with coffered
and frescoed soffit. Designed circa 1765 by Robert Adam and carried out
with modifications by Nicholas Revett.
Interior has ground floor ceilings printed by Borgnis, either Giuseppe
or his son Giovanni. Carved marble chimneypieces, - in State Drawing Room
by Henry Cheere, in Dining Room by Thomas Carter. Staircase wall paintings
after Raphael's Vatican Loggie.
See Country Life, 1 and 8.1.1916 alma 6 and 13.5.1933.