© Mrs Angela Clark LRPS
LABWORTH CAFE, WESTERN ESPLANADE
CANVEY ISLAND, CASTLE POINT, ESSEX
Mrs Angela Clark LRPS
24 August 2004
16 April 1996
Date of last amendment:
16 April 1996
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ88SW CANVEY ISLAND WESTERN ESPLANADE
Cafe with integral shelters. Built by Ove Arup, Christiani and Nielsen 1932-33. Functional International Moderne style. Built of reinforced concrete with flat roof. Circular drum of cafe on first floor level supported on piles (now concealed by rise in land level) with two arms extending from this enclosing shelters with steel piers on the seaward side. Hardwood windows extend the full diameter of the circle with some top opening lights. Entrance by doorcase in splayed bay facing sea supported on 4 metal columns. Staircase to cafe which has circular columns supporting ring beam and original shallow cone-shaped light fittings. Doors lead on to roofs of shelters which originally had thin steel columns supporting canopies. A pioneering building of the Modern Movement which predates the Gorilla House at London Zoo by Lubetkin and Tecton's Penguin House, and one of the only architectural designs by Ove Arup.