© Mr Michael Nash LRPS
CENTRAL METHODIST CHURCH, FORMER HALL AND SCHOOL AND ATTACHED WALLS, SUSANS ROAD (south west side)
EASTBOURNE, EASTBOURNE, EAST SUSSEX
Mr Michael Nash LRPS
20 August 1999
13 August 1996
Date of last amendment:
13 August 1996
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TV 6199 EASTBOURNE PEVESNEY ROAD
(North West side)
623/8/10051 Central Methodist Church,
former hall and school
and attached walls
Includes: Central Methodist Church, former hall and school and attached walls, SUSANS ROAD
Includes: Central Methodist Church, former hall and school and attached walls, LANGNEY ROAD
Methodist Church, Hall, Sunday Schools and attached walls. Dated 1907, architect Carlos Crisford. Church facing south-east with main entrance in Pevensey Road, Hall facing north-west with main entrance in Langney Road and both have elevations along Susans Road.
CHURCH Church built of coursed stone rubble with ashlar dressings and renewed pantiled roof. Decorated style. PLAN: south-east porch, south-east tower with spire and 5-bay nave with aisles and galleries. EXTERIOR: south-east front has large 7-bay arched traceried window with trefoil heads. Canted porch with large arch to centre and 4 trefoil-headed lancets, the outer ones divided by splayed buttresses. Behind the porch are 2 cambered doorways inscribed "ENTER HIS GATES WITH THANKSGIVING AND INTO HIS COURTS WITH PRAISE." Tower of 3 stages with buttresses surmounted by crockets. Top stage is bell stage with double trefoil louvred opening. Band of carved trefoils above first floor and to gables. First floor lancets and ogee arched doorcase. Angle buttresses. Stone spire with triangular lucarnes, surmounted by metal weathervane. Elevation to Susans Road has 5 gables with triple traceried arched windows to gallery, flat-headed windows to aisles and square porch to north-east.
INTERIOR: complete interior of the period with wooden gallery supported on clustered cast- iron columns and similar columns to galleries. Central elaborate wooden organ case and choir seating, incorporating pulpit. Original pews. Hammerbeam roof. Stained glass to north-west window.
HALL AND SUNDAY SCHOOLIdentical building materials to church. Hall is of Decorated style. Langney Road elevation has hall to north-west of 2 storeys with gable with 7-light traceried window with large stone urn surmounted by a cross inscribed "THE WORLD IS MY PARISH". 3 cambered windows to ground floor. End buttresses. Decorative cast-iron rainwater heads. School adjoins hall but of Jacobean style. 2 storeys. 2 windows to Langney Road elevation, triple mullioned and transomed windows with pedimented centre and similar gablets to parapet. Ground floor has in addition to a window a right side cambered doorcase with carved panel with date 1907 and "CENTRAL WESLEYAN HALL AND SCHOOLS". Susans Road elevation of 2 storeys 4 windows with full-height octagonal crenellated towers at ends and 2 chimneys disguised as crenellated turrets. Windows are mullioned and transomed casements with leaded lights with side cames of red glass. Some windows have been replaced with glass and false lead cames. Central 2 windows set back and are 4-light mullioned and transomed casements with pediment to central 2 lights. Projecting ends have 3 light mullioned and transomed casements with pediments to central light. End towers have single lights and diaper patterns above first floor. INTERIOR: features include staircase with fine decorative cast-iron balustrading. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES Attached low wall to Langney Road and Pevensey road elevations of flint with stone coping, cast-iron gates and railings and flint and stone gate piers or buttresses with gabled caps. Most railings missing since Second World War.