© Mr Daniel Eugenio LRPS
THE BEEHIVE (FORMER COMBINED TERMINAL AND CONTROL TOWER), BEEHIVE RING ROAD
CRAWLEY, CRAWLEY, WEST SUSSEX
Mr Daniel Eugenio LRPS
18 February 2001
19 August 1996
Date of last amendment:
19 August 1996
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ 23 NE CRAWLEY BEEHIVE RING ROAD
3/10004 The Beehive (Former Combined
Terminal and Control Tower)
Former airport combined termina1 and control tower, now staff rest rooms and offices. 1934-36. By Hoar, Marlow and Lovett for Morris Jackaman. Reinforced concrete, steel frame and brick infi1l. Circular plan with concentric circles of rooms and corridor. 1,2 and 3 storeys. EXTERIOR. Outer single-storey section has doorways and mainly 4-light windows at intervals. Behind rises the 1st floor with windows at various intervals and a section of continuous glazing. Above in the centre is the former control tower with glazing all round at 60 degrees to the floor. INTERIOR. Surrounding the central drum, which originally held the control tower, meteorological offices, post office and shop; is the 2-storey corridor for passenger circulation and handling of baggage, as well as the double staircase. On the outer side the lst floor had the restaurant with offices below. From the central corridor passengers arrived and left through 6 telescopic corridors (no longer surviving) which were extended on rails to the aircraft steps. The Beehive is important not only in the history of British aviation but also in terms of world airport design. It is a rare example of how airport owners and architects collaborated to put passenger comfort as a top consideration when designing a terminal building.