You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 462941  

Print Page

© Mr Peter Briggs

IoE Number: 462941
Location: INGRAM HOUSE, 90 BOOTHAM (south west side)
Photographer: Mr Peter Briggs
Date Photographed: 18 September 2003
Date listed: 14 June 1954
Date of last amendment: 14 June 1954
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

YORKSE5952NEBOOTHAM1112-1/7/97(South West side)

YORK SE5952NE BOOTHAM 1112-1/7/97 (South West side) 14/06/54 No.90 Ingram House GV II* Almshouses, now flats. 1630-32 with re-set C12 archway; extensive repairs in 1649; altered 1958. Narrow red brick in English bond with limestone ashlar plinth and dressings of painted stone and render. Plain tiled roof. EXTERIOR: almost symmetrical, with a central one-bay 4-storey tower and with 2-storey ranges to left and right, each with 5 houses of one bay each. The left-hand range has a doorway to the left of each ground-floor window, and the right-hand range has the doorways to the right. Above the ground floor there is a painted moulded string course. The windows have 2 leaded casement lights and surrounds of painted render. The ground-floor windows have external timber shutters and the 1st floor surrounds are rebated and chamfered. The doorways have chamfered surrounds with false 4-centred heads. The central tower has a ground-floor window to the left of the doorway, and a smaller square 1st floor window. The re-set doorway is of limestone and has a round arch of 2 orders with a label, all enriched with nail-head ornament. The tower roof is hidden by a parapet with coping, and chimneys rise at all 4 corners. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records that most of the C17 internal fittings were removed c1958 when converted to flats. HISTORICAL NOTE: built by Sir Arthur Ingram of York, who died in 1640. Badly damaged in the siege of York. The archway came from the demolished part of Holy Trinity Priory church, Micklegate, and was incorporated in the almshouses when they were first built. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: London: 1975-: 49).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.