© Mr Peter Briggs
INGRAM HOUSE, 90 BOOTHAM (south west side)
YORK, YORK, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Mr Peter Briggs
18 September 2003
14 June 1954
Date of last amendment:
14 June 1954
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
1112-1/7/97 (South West side)
Almshouses, now flats. 1630-32 with re-set C12 archway;
extensive repairs in 1649; altered 1958. Narrow red brick in
English bond with limestone ashlar plinth and dressings of
painted stone and render. Plain tiled roof.
EXTERIOR: almost symmetrical, with a central one-bay 4-storey
tower and with 2-storey ranges to left and right, each with 5
houses of one bay each. The left-hand range has a doorway to
the left of each ground-floor window, and the right-hand range
has the doorways to the right. Above the ground floor there is
a painted moulded string course. The windows have 2 leaded
casement lights and surrounds of painted render. The
ground-floor windows have external timber shutters and the 1st
floor surrounds are rebated and chamfered. The doorways have
chamfered surrounds with false 4-centred heads. The central
tower has a ground-floor window to the left of the doorway,
and a smaller square 1st floor window. The re-set doorway is
of limestone and has a round arch of 2 orders with a label,
all enriched with nail-head ornament. The tower roof is hidden
by a parapet with coping, and chimneys rise at all 4 corners.
INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records that most of the C17
internal fittings were removed c1958 when converted to flats.
HISTORICAL NOTE: built by Sir Arthur Ingram of York, who died
in 1640. Badly damaged in the siege of York. The archway came
from the demolished part of Holy Trinity Priory church,
Micklegate, and was incorporated in the almshouses when they
were first built.
(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York:
RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: London: 1975-: