© Mr Chris Broadribb
ST MARYS ABBEY REMAINS HOSPITIUM AND WATERGATE, MUSEUM GARDENS
YORK, YORK, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Mr Chris Broadribb
12 June 2001
14 June 1954
Date of last amendment:
14 March 1997
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SE5952SE MUSEUM GARDENS
1112-1/12/779 St Mary's Abbey remains: Hospitium
14/06/54 and Watergate
(Formerly Listed as:
The Hospitium and Water Gate)
Possible Abbey guesthouse and watergate attached to north-east
corner; now part of The Yorkshire Museum (qv). Lower storey of
house C14, upper storey C15, partly reconstructed and heavily
restored 1930-31: gateway c1500.
MATERIALS: lower storey of hospitium of magnesian limestone
ashlar on chamfered plinth; upper storey timber-framed with
rendered infilling; plain tile roof. Gateway of re-used
magnesian limestone, inner face of upper storey of orange
wall-tiles: unroofed. 6-bay hall and aisled undercroft.
EXTERIOR: Hospitium: 2-storey 6-bay front, with exposed
timber-frame to hall. Undercroft has rebuilt double chamfered
doorway with plank double doors on iron strap hinges in
2-centred moulded arch. Windows to left are single slits in
chamfered openings, to right of 2 lights in double chamfered
openings. Access to hall by reconstructed external staircase
to 2-centred timber doorway with double doors on C-hinges.
Windows are of 4 lights. River front: repeats main front
without doors. To left return, undercroft has three slit
lights, hall 3-light window flanked by 1-light windows: to
right return, three 2-light windows to undercroft, to hall
2-light outer windows, 5-light centre window. All multi-light
windows to undercroft have chamfered stone mullions: to hall,
Watergate: incorporated in wall approximately 8 metres long,
between 6.5 and 7.5 metres high on chamfered plinth, stepped
up at left end. Cart arch is 2 centred, of 2 moulded and
chamfered orders beneath coved hoodmould: smaller foot-gate to
left is similar: both are rebated on inner side. Further left
is decayed square-headed window opening. On first floor two
square-headed windows of 2 trefoiled lights, one now
INTERIOR: of Hospitium: two colonnades of octagonal columns
with moulded bases and capitals support hall floor.
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York:
RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO London: