© Mr Chris Broadribb
ST MARYS LODGE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, GATES AND GATE PIERS, MUSEUM GARDENS
YORK, YORK, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Mr Chris Broadribb
31 May 2001
14 June 1954
Date of last amendment:
14 March 1997
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SE5952SE MUSEUM GARDENS
1112-1/12/780 St Mary's Lodge and attached
14/06/54 railings, gates and gate piers
(Formerly Listed as:
Principal Gate with Gatehouse (St
Abbey gatehouse and lodges, partly ruined; now part of The
Yorkshire Museum (qv). Gatehouse late C12, lodges added c1470;
St Mary's Lodge to south west altered and restored c1840 for
The Yorkshire Philosophical Society for occupation by their
Museum Keeper, John Phillips. Carriage gates, gate piers and
MATERIALS: abbey buildings of magnesian limestone; octagonal
stone stacks to St Mary's Lodge, roof of which is obscured by
added plain parapet with sloped coping. Gates and railings of
cast-iron, gate piers of ashlar.
EXTERIOR: front to Marygate: 1-storey 1-bay gatehouse; to
right, St Mary's Lodge is 2 storeyed with basement, 2 bays
wide; to left, 1-storey ruins of north-east lodge.
Gatehouse has semicircular arch of 3 chamfered orders on
responds with moulded imposts: inner face of arch of 2 similar
orders. Imposts extend to form moulded string across gatehouse
side walls behind. Side walls arcaded symmetrically in 3 bays
of paired blind round arches on paired shafts with moulded
capitals and bases, rising from wallbenches. On both sides,
arcades incorporate blocked doorways: springers and vaulting
shafts for 3 transverse vaults survive.
North-east lodge: on moulded and chamfered plinth: double
chamfered arched doorway with 2-centred head and hoodmould has
vertically panelled door.
St Mary's Lodge: moulded and chamfered plinth: bays separated
by narrow 3-stage buttresses with moulded offsets and gablets.
Entrance through doorway with glazed and panelled door
inserted in gatehouse arcade. Windows, one or two to each bay,
generally mullioned and of paired cinquefoiled lights in
square-headed splayed openings of differing sizes. On Museum
Gardens front 3 round-headed slits light staircase. Moulded
string extends around 3 outer sides of building.
INTERIOR: of north-east lodge: staircase in thickness of wall
is tunnel-vaulted; lit by chamfered opening with round head.
Interior of St Mary's Lodge: short flight of steps inside door
has bulbous balusters. Tunnel vaulted staircase rises to first
floor within wall thickness. Other fittings of 1840 include
several fireplaces and coffered ceilings with bosses to ground
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: gate piers approximately 1.5 metres high;
square on plan with chamfered bar-stopped angles, moulded
bases and cornices, and truncated pyramidal caps. Railings
raised on low chamfered wall, stepped down in places. Railings
and gate bars have barbed finials and top rail of pierced
quatrefoils: gates strengthened with crossed curved braces.
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York:
RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO London:
1975-: 16-17; Murray H, Riddick S & Green R: York through the
Eyes of the Artist: York City Art Gallery: 1990-: 58,59).