You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 464441  

Print Page



© Ms Julia K Rich

IoE Number: 464441
Location: ALEXANDRA THEATRE AND MARKET HALL TO THE REAR, MARKET STREET (east side)
  NEWTON ABBOT, TEIGNBRIDGE, DEVON
Photographer: Ms Julia K Rich
Date Photographed: 06 September 2001
Date listed: 06 June 1972
Date of last amendment: 11 December 1996
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NEWTON ABBOT SX8571SE MARKET STREET 1012-1/13/98 (East side) 06/06/72 Alexandra Theatre and Market Hall to the rear (Formerly Listed as: MARKET STREET Alexandra Theatre) GV II Former corn exchange, now a cinema. Dated 1871. By John Chudleigh. MATERIALS: squared Devon limestone and stucco with some freestone dressings, slate roof and moulded stack to the rear of left return. PLAN: rectangular plan with projecting west tower and infilled angles. ALEXANDRA THEATRE EXTERIOR: an Italianate palazzo style central projecting belvedere tower in 3 stages has wide eaves and a modillion cornice to a shallow-pitched pyramidal roof. Freestone impost and sill bands to paired semicircular-arched windows, blind to the front, in the upper stage, the second stage has a semicircular-arched recess containing a hood mould with foliate stops over a circular window. A panel below with a rich dentil cornice reads "Erected 1871". The rusticated semicircular entrance arch below has chamfered jambs. The angles between the tower and the main block have curved stucco infills with cornices to the ground floor and square stucco infills to the first floor, both possibly later additions. The 5-bay exchange, articulated by plain pilasters, has an eaves band and plinth forming recesses with blind semicircular-arched windows with continuous sill bands. The ridge has two C20 cylindrical vents with conical tops. INTERIOR: not inspected. MARKET HALL EXTERIOR: attached to the rear is similar in style to Alexandra Theatre. INTERIOR: 6-bays with cast-iron columns approx 10m high, with wrought-iron ties and wooden principals; aisle posts are connected by arcade rails to each side forming semicircular arches with diminishing circles to the spandrels. The sloping ceilings to the aisles have diagonal planking and 4 purlins; a clerestory above the aisles has 6 square windows between each column; the central apex has 6 purlins to each side with various thin metal ties. South wall has 12 segmental-arched recesses, 2 with doors; the north aisle has a partly-glazed roof, the north wall has 8 arches and two 2/2-pane sash windows to the north-west corner. The west end abutting the Alexandra Theatre has triple semicircular-arched recesses above one similar wide recess and a C20 metal roller shutter, the east end is occupied by a C20 cafe. HISTORY: the site was developed after its purchase from the Rev. Richard Lane by the Wolborough Local Board in 1867. (BoE: Pevsner N & Cherry B: Devon: London: 1989-: 592; Jones R: A Book of Newton Abbot: Callington: 1979-: 56-7).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.