© Mr Neil Holliday
THE MANSION GOTTS PARK, ARMLEY RIDGE ROAD (east off)
LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Mr Neil Holliday
22 August 2007
19 October 1951
Date of last amendment:
19 October 1951
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SE2634 ARMLEY RIDGE ROAD, Upper Armley
714-1/27/1197 (East side (off))
19/10/51 The Mansion, Gott's Park
Formerly known as: Armley House ARMLEY RIDGE ROAD Upper
Country house, now offices and clubhouse, with terrace wall
and steps. 1781 for Thomas Woolrick, remodelled 1810-1820 by
Robert Smirke for Benjamin Gott. Ashlar, low-pitched hipped
slate roof. Greek Revival style.
2 storeys, 3 bays, flanking single-storey curved wings. E
front: projecting portico with giant fluted Ionic columns
supporting entablature and pediment, enclosing wide 2-storeyed
canted bay. Sash windows, continuous 1st-floor sill band; 3
round-arched windows to flanking wings, cornice and parapet,
balustraded side wings. Tall corniced stacks behind ridge.
West front: a parallel 2-storey, 3-window hipped-roofed block
with mid C19 features: single-storey glazed ashlar porch has
pilasters, deep eaves on stone brackets; architraves to
windows, sill band, eaves cornice and blocking course. Tall
corniced end stacks. Outer wings demolished mid C20. Sunken
service courtyard of apsidal design at northern end.
INTERIOR: entrance hall has black and white chequered stone
floor, egg-and-dart mouldings to outer and inner hall
cornices. 2-flight cantilevered stairs, the balustrade
covered, ramped handrail, segmental arch; on the landing
paired columns in antis, fluted capitals. Principal rooms not
seen. Important features of the house are Gott's cast-iron
service stair and the fire-proof structure which includes
cast-iron beams supporting vaulted masonry floors and
cast-iron panelled doors.
The first Greek Revival house built in West Yorkshire.
(Linstrum D: West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture: