© Mr David H. Garbutt
CHURCH OF ST DENYS, WALMGATE (south west side)
YORK, YORK, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Mr David H. Garbutt
17 April 2006
14 June 1954
Date of last amendment:
14 June 1954
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
1112-1/17/1174 (South West side)
14/06/54 Church of St Denys
Parish church. C14 north aisle; C15 chancel and south aisle,
with reset mid C12 door; 1846-47 alterations including
rebuilding of west end with tower, and north and south
arcades. C19 building by Thomas Pickersgill.
MATERIALS: magnesian limestone with tile and pantile roofs in
three parallel spans with stone coped gables.
PLAN: 2-bay continuous chancel and aisled nave with south
door, west tower and vestry.
EXTERIOR: triple gabled east end with offset buttresses and
moulded plinths to chancel and south aisle. East window of 5
lights with renewed panel tracery in 4-centred head, moulded
sill string and hoodmould with grotesque mask. North aisle
window of 5 lights with curvilinear tracery in 2-centred head
and hoodmould: to south, blocked round-headed doorway. South
aisle window of 4 lights with panel tracery in 2-centred head,
moulded sill string and hoodmould. North side, articulated by
3-stage buttresses, on moulded plinth. 3-light windows have
reticulated tracery in 2-centred heads, hoodmoulds and
continuous moulded sill string. South side repeats north side,
with two windows: third window altered to accommodate reset
doorway. C18 plank door on strap hinges, faced on outer side
with plain board. Doorway is round-arched, of five orders with
moulded imposts and cushion capitals carved with volutes,
grotesque masks and scallops: orders carved with foliage,
beakhead, chevrons, medallions of leaves and flowers and
lozenges enclosing quatrefoil flowers. 3-stage tower has
offset angle buttresses and projecting south-east octagonal
stair. Board door on C-hinges to south, in 2-centred double
chamfered opening. West window of 3 lights with curvilinear
tracery. Second stage has lancets in double chamfered openings
to north, south and east faces. Belfry has 2-light louvred
openings with ogee-headed lights in traceried, 2-centred heads
with hoodmoulds. Moulded string course to each stage and
beneath embattled parapet. Aisle windows are of 3 lights with
cusped reticulated tracery.
INTERIOR: north and south arcades of hollow-chamfered pointed
arches springing from octagonal piers and responds. Tall
pointed tower arch blocked by ground floor screen beneath
organ loft. In north wall of north aisle, tomb recess in
pointed arch with filleted roll moulding, thought to be a
FITTINGS: include: reredos of faience incorporates
Paternoster, Creed and Commandments panels. Octagonal pulpit
of bordered panels reset on C19 pedestal and with C19
handrail. Cast-iron Victorian hatchment on wood panel on north
aisle west wall. Two boards recording rebuilding of 1798 and
1846-47 in vestry. Cast-iron safe with 'Gothick' mouldings on
MONUMENTS: include: chancel north wall: kneeling figure of
Dorothy Hughes in round-arched niche surrounded by heraldry
and symbolic carvings. Chancel south wall: obelisk with tablet
and female figure and urn, to Robert Welborn Hotham and
family, c1806, by Fisher. North aisle, north wall: white
plaque on marble slab, to James Melrose, d.1837, by Plows:
plaque to Rev John Walker, Rector, d.1813, and wife, Ann. Over
south door: tablet to Dorothy Wilson, d.1717, flanked by
Corinthian columns beneath segmental pediment.
STAINED GLASS: although fragmented, a considerable quantity of
C13, C14 and C15 stained glass survives in the church.
Roofs: nave has coffered roof with moulded beams and bosses,
six said to be cast-iron. South aisle has four reset C12
grotesque corbels carrying renewed arch-braced trusses.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 15-19).