© Mr John Kilgallon
AUSTHORPE HALL, AUSTHORPE LANE (east side)
LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Mr John Kilgallon
30 July 2001
26 September 1963
Date of last amendment:
26 September 1963
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SE33SE AUSTHORPE LANE, Austhorpe
714-1/12/508 (East side)
26/09/63 Austhorpe Hall
Country house. 1694, altered mid C19. Red brick, stone
dressings, hipped stone slate roof with heavy wooden modillion
2 storeys with cellars and attics, 7 bays. Quoins. Pedimented
centre bay breaks forward slightly and contains 1 window in
upper storey and entrance on ground floor. Panelled door with
overlight in eared architrave; pulvinated frieze, plaque with
interlaced lettering: J MORE/ 1694, broken pediment. 7 windows
in eared architraves, each vertical pair in projecting panel
with stone quoins. Wooden mullion and transom windows, leaded
panes, some probably original glass. End ridge stacks.
INTERIOR: cross-corridor, direct-entry plan with fine
detailing to doors (original latches, L- and butterfly
hinges), few later alterations; central hall has fireplace
with cast-iron grate in plain stone surround, timber and
moulded plaster ceiling, fireplace other end blocked. A round
archway with double doors opens into staircase, probably mid
C19, square balusters, turned newels, ramped handrail, the
original staircase removed to The Grange, Seacroft.
Front room, right: panelled walls, ceiling cornice, plaster
ceiling decoration with leaf mouldings, the windows on the
right return are blocked and one is a cupboard. Front room,
left: 2 windows to front and left return, shutters,
fielded-panelling, bolection-moulded black stone fireplace;
opening off through double doors, the rear left 'smoking
room', lit by 1 window, shutters, panelling, corner fireplace.
From the 'smoking room' a doorway opens into the stone-flagged
corridor which is lit by a semicircular west window with
glazing bars, stone steps down at east end.
First floor, left: full-height panelling, ceiling cornice,
bolection-moulded fireplace, small panelled room off is lit by
2 rear windows, the room partition meeting the central mullion
of one. The main room, centre front, has panelled walls,
bolection-moulded fireplace with shelf over. Front right: lit
by 2 windows, 2 in side wall blocked, one of them a cupboard;
panelled walls, fireplace, moulded ceiling cornice; rear
right: a corner fireplace, lit by 1 window on right return.
A secondary staircase rises from the rear corridor to the
attics: turned balusters, square newels, console brackets.
Cellars below rear rooms contain base of a stone newel stair,
brick-arched rooms lit by 2-light straight-chamfered mullioned
windows, one door made from C17 framed panelling.
John Cossins' 1725 map of Leeds shows the merchants' houses
built at a time when Leeds was developing as the main centre
for cloth production and export; this rural version (2 rather
than 3 storeys) is a rare survival.