You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 465070  

Print Page



© Mr Steve Novak

IoE Number: 465070
Location: ST JAMES HOSPITAL CHAPEL, BECKETT STREET (west side)
  LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Steve Novak
Date Photographed: 05 July 2001
Date listed: 22 November 1974
Date of last amendment: 22 November 1974
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LEEDSSE33SWBECKETT STREET, Sheepscar714-1/11/1102(West side)

LEEDS SE33SW BECKETT STREET, Sheepscar 714-1/11/1102 (West side) 22/11/74 St James' Hospital Chapel GV II Chapel. 1858-61. By Perkin and Backhouse of Leeds. Red brick and stone dressings, with decorative blue and white brickwork, slate roof (diminishing courses). PLAN: cruciform plan with apsidal 'east' end. Pedimented gables, cornice. Moulded round-arch Romanesque style windows. EXTERIOR: SE entrance front: steps up to paired round-headed doors in moulded stone arch, attached columns, blind arcade and rose window above, all in elaborate round-arched recess; flanking 2-light windows, moulded cornice to pediment. Tower in S angle with 3-light belfry, clock face above and slated spire; circular stair turret in E angle with round-arched doorway, round window, arcaded 'campanile' and conical roof. INTERIOR: much use of polychrome brickwork (black, red and white): 6-bay nave, carved stone corbels support open trusses with trefoil piercings; wide chancel arch, paired arches to transepts, all with carved capitals with flowers, birds and animals. Carved stone font, square base, attached columns, carved octagonal bowl; pulpit has red and white marble shafts, Gothic arcading to pierced panels, angel supporting book rest. On the N wall: plaque erected by Leeds Board of Guardians to commemorate the nurses of Leeds Township Infirmary who died during the First World War or during the epidemic of influenza, 1917-1918. The Leeds New Workhouse just to the NE was built in 1858, the chapel is probably contemporary; the premises were Leeds Township Infirmary by 1874. (RCHME: Report: St James's University Hospital: 1995-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.