You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 465074  

Print Page



© Mr Steve Novak

IoE Number: 465074
Location: ST JAMES HOSPITAL BLOCK NORTH WEST OF CHAPEL, BECKETT STREET (west side)
  LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Steve Novak
Date Photographed: 05 July 2001
Date listed: 22 November 1974
Date of last amendment: 11 September 1996
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LEEDS SE33SW BECKETT STREET, Sheepscar 714-1/11/1101 (West side) 22/11/74 St James' Hospital, block north-west of chapel (Formerly Listed as: BECKETT STREET, Sheepscar St James' Hospital (Blocks 19 and 20)) GV II Poor Law infirmary, now hospital block. 1872-4, late C20 alterations. By Henry Walker of Leeds, though modified on the advice of Dr Smith medical advisor to the Poor Law Board. Rectangular plan, red brick, stone dressings, slate roof. Pierced stone parapets, modillion cornice. 2 storeys, 4,2,4 windows, centre projects slightly with Dutch gable. 2 Dutch gables to left and right returns, plain surround, overlight and margin lights to left return. INTERIOR: not inspected. An almost identical block immediately to NW has been demolished. This Poor Law infirmary was built next to the workhouse of 1858, now St James' Hospital Northside Building (qv). The foundation stone was laid 04/04/1872 and th ebuilding was opened 26/11/1874. The building cost »18,000. (RCHME: Report: St James's University Hospital: 1995-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.