You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 465078  

Print Page



© Mr Steve Novak

IoE Number: 465078
Location: ST JAMES HOSPITAL SOUTHSIDE BUILDING, BECKETT STREET (west side)
  LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Steve Novak
Date Photographed: 05 July 2001
Date listed: 22 November 1974
Date of last amendment: 22 November 1974
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LEEDSSE33SWBECKETT STREET, Sheepscar714-1/11/1104(West side)

LEEDS SE33SW BECKETT STREET, Sheepscar 714-1/11/1104 (West side) 22/11/74 St James' Hospital: Southside Building GV II Moral and industrial training school, now part of hospital. Dated 1848, 1904-06 alterations. By Perkin and Backhouse of Leeds. Red brick, stone dressings, slate roof. 3 storeys, 5 unequal bays with 21 windows, central and end bays project with Dutch gables, octagonal stone turrets with ogee domes and 3-storey canted bays. Centre: tall mullion and transom stair window and round arch doorway with pilasters and finials over entablature, gable inscription with date. Parapet with pierced stone panels, moulded string course, stone window architraves. 2 large ridge stacks with bracketed cornices. INTERIOR: not inspected. Built as Industrial and Moral Training School, foundation stone laid 14/10/1846, opened October 1848. For 499 children, the school cost »14,000. The building is now part of St James' Hospital. (RCHME: Report: St James's University Hospital: 1995-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.