You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 465206  

Print Page



© Mr Steve Novak

IoE Number: 465206
Location: CHURCH OF ST AIDAN, ROUNDHAY ROAD (east side)
  LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Steve Novak
Date Photographed: 05 August 2001
Date listed: 26 September 1963
Date of last amendment: 26 September 1963
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LEEDSSE33NWROUNDHAY ROAD, Sheepscar714-1/7/1109(East side)

LEEDS SE33NW ROUNDHAY ROAD, Sheepscar 714-1/7/1109 (East side) 26/09/63 Church of St Aidan GV II* Anglican church. 1891-94. By RJ Johnson and A Crawford-Hick, not completed. Red brick, terracotta, moulded brick and tile decoration, tile roof; ashlar interior and mosaics completed 1916 by F Brangwyn. Italian-Romanesque style. PLAN: nave and chancel in one, apsidal W end, N and S aisles, vestry on S side. Plain round-headed aisle and clerestory windows, pilasters between and moulded string course below. EXTERIOR: main front is W end with narrow round-headed windows to apse in tall decorated arcade, blind arcade above; flanking square-section turrets with blind arcades, circular top stage with louvred windows and conical roof. To left is the base of the intended 61m (200 foot) bell tower: Romanesque-style doorway with double panelled doors, scrolled hinges, tympanum with carved stone portrait bust and caption: 'JAMES RUSSELL WOODFORD VICAR OF LEEDS AD 1868-1873' and motto: 'Look unto the Rock/ from whence you are hewn', niche with statue of St Aidan above. INTERIOR: basilican plan with apsidal east end decorated with mosaics by Frank Brangwyn, 1916, high chancel with screen wall also with figured mosaics; high and wide round chancel arch with tall flanking columns, 11-bay nave arcade of stone columns on high moulded plinths and arches in Byzantine style, narrow aisles; west end baptistry has lavish use of coloured marbles, wrought-iron, stone balustrades. Pulpit with domed canopy also shows lavish use of coloured marbles, alabaster plaques. Fine brass lectern with angels blowing trumpets and high rood screen with full-size figures and kneeling angels. (St Aidan's Church, Leeds, and the Brangwyn Mosaics: Leeds: 1983-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.