You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 465209  

Print Page



© Mrs Pennie Keech

IoE Number: 465209
Location: FORMER CEMETERY CHAPEL AND STATUE OF MICHAEL SADLER, ST GEORGES FIELDS
  LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Pennie Keech
Date Photographed: 17 August 2004
Date listed: 26 September 1963
Date of last amendment: 11 September 1996
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LEEDS SE2934NW ST GEORGE'S FIELDS 714-1/71/364 Former Cemetery Chapel and statue of 26/09/63 Michael Sadler (Formerly Listed as: WOODHOUSE LANE (South side (off)) Mortuary chapel at Woodhouse cemetery) II Cemetery chapel, now library store, with statue against the NE side. 1835. Repair and rebuilding to upper walls and roof after a fire c1988. By John Clark for the Leeds General Cemetery Company. Ashlar, Delphstone and millstone grit, grey slate roof. Greek Revival style. Plinth. Portico on NW with 4 giant Ionic columns supporting entablature and moulded pediment, central door in shouldered architrave. SE end has 4 giant pilasters supporting entablature and pediment; 5 x 3 pane glazing between, a window on each return and panels with carved wreaths below each window. The ashlar is continued around each side to meet hammer-dressed gritstone on side walls which have a central recessed rainwater pipe. Statue of Michael Sadler: marble, life-size, draped in Greek style, the base carved with the words: 'PARK SCULPTOR LONDON 1837'. It stands on a cylindrical plinth with inscribed tablet giving details of his career: born Doveridge, Derbys, MP for the borough of Newark and Aldboro, died at Belfast, the memorial erected by his 'numerous private and political friends'. INTERIOR: not inspected. Sadler fought and lost the 1832 election for the Tories in Leeds; he was a linen merchant, member of the corporation, and an Evangelical paternalist devoted to factory reform. A recess on the back of the plinth indicates that the statue is not in its original position. (Beresford, M: Walks Round Red Brick: Leeds University Press: 1980-: 50; Fraser, D (Ed): A History of Modern Leeds: Manchester: 1980-: 276-78).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.