You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 465211  

Print Page



© Mr Dennis Carr

IoE Number: 465211
Location: FORMER LODGES TO WOODHOUSE CEMETERY, ST GEORGES FIELDS (north side)
  LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Dennis Carr
Date Photographed: 07 August 2007
Date listed: 26 September 1963
Date of last amendment: 11 September 1996
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LEEDS SE2934NW ST GEORGE'S FIELDS 714-1/71/365 (North side) 26/09/63 Former lodges to Woodhouse Cemetery (Formerly Listed as: WOODHOUSE LANE (South West side) Lodges at Woodhouse Cemetery) II Cemetery gateway and lodges, now Leeds University post-graduate rooms. 1835. By John Clark. For the Leeds General Cemetery Company. Ashlar and gritstone, grey slate roofs, wrought-iron gates. In Greek Revival style. Entrance front: giant Doric columns in antis with pediment and deep blocking course fronts recessed 3-storey lodges with blind part-concealed pilasters and pediments. Rear: central rectangular entrance with pediment on consoles flanked by lower pedestrian gateways with niches in urns above; flanking projecting lodges with shouldered architraves and pediments, sashes with glazing bars, blind panels on returns; low 3-bay range with two 16-pane sashes and door with overlight to right. INTERIOR: the portico has lodge entrances on left and right; 4-panel false double doors, stone staircase in left lodge has an elaborate balustrade with fleur-de-lis motifs and ramped handrail; the right lodge staircase has plain square-section balusters. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: high central paired gates have X-motif to lock-rail and thick rails with spearhead finials, lower side gates similar.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.