You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 465247  

Print Page



© Ms Alison Claybourne

IoE Number: 465247
Location: ST PAULS HOUSE, PARK SQUARE (south side)
  LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Ms Alison Claybourne
Date Photographed: 20 February 2005
Date listed: 26 September 1963
Date of last amendment: 11 September 1996
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LEEDS SE2933NE ST PAUL'S STREET 714-1/75/378 (North side) 26/09/63 Nos.20 AND 22 St Paul's House and attached railings and gates (Formerly Listed as: ST PAUL'S STREET (North side) Nos.20 AND 22 St Paul's House) GV II* Factory and showrooms, now offices, with gates and railings. 1878, altered and restored with wholly new interior in 1976. By Thomas Ambler. For John Barran. Brick with terracotta by Doulton, wrought-iron gates by Frances Skidmore. 4 storeys with added attic storey, 12 x 5 bays with angled entrance bay at SE corner blocked 1976 and central entrance inserted on north side, facing Park Square. In an ornate Hispano-Moorish style. The blocked corner entrance, now a window, has a Moorish arch and paired flanking columns, walls lined with glazed tiles. The elaborate entrance gates of ribbon-like scrolls and flowers were reduced in height and removed to the N entrance 1976. Facades consist of a repeated bay design in which ground and mezzanine windows are united within a large segmental arch of moulded terracotta. 1st and 2nd floors similarly linked, a giant trabeated frame forming a transom at intermediate floor level and Moorish colonnettes as mullions. 3rd floor: triple Moorish arches to lower windows; bands of cusping at eaves, brick and terracotta parapet pierced with cinquefoil openings. Attached octagonal buttresses at the corners rise above the parapet as elaborate corner finials in the style of minarets, restored. Brick and stone piers on south side, cast-iron panels with star motifs between, repeated on other facades. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: John Barran was responsible for the development of Leeds as a centre of wholesale clothing manufacture, the siting of his factory in Park Square reflects the importance of this part of the city in the development of the clothing industry. He was Mayor of Leeds and MP 1876-85. Thomas Ambler also designed many of the buildings in Boar Lane. One of the few executed buildings influenced by the publication of Owen Jones' measured drawings of the Alhambra in the 1840s (Linstrum, p.306).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.