© Krystyna Szulecka LBIPP
CHAPEL ALLERTON HOSPITAL, HAREHILLS LANE (north side)
LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Krystyna Szulecka LBIPP
14 May 2004
05 August 1976
Date of last amendment:
11 September 1996
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SE3136 HAREHILLS LANE, Chapel Allerton
714-1/20/1301 (North side)
05/08/76 Chapel Allerton Hospital
(Formerly Listed as:
GLEDHOW PARK DRIVE, Chapel Allerton
Chapel Allerton Hospital)
Formerly known as: Gledhow Grove GLEDHOW PARK Chapel Allerton.
Mansion, now hospital. 1835-40, altered C20. John Clark. For
John Hives. Ashlar, slate roof.
2 storeys, 3 bays with 4:3:4 windows. Greek Revival style,
quoin pilasters and plinth. Central pedimented bay projects,
pilasters and 2 giant fluted Ionic columns in antis; 8-panel
double doors, overlight with roundels, shouldered architrave,
in round-arched recess. Entrance obscured by covered walkway
to hospital buildings. Sashes with glazing bars, ground floor
in shouldered architraves, plain lintels and moulded sill band
to 1st floor. Hipped roof with fine chimneys in the form of
linked short Ionic columns. Rear: 2 wings, 4-storey tower with
round-arched windows, top storey rebuilt above band with
Left return: 3 bays, 1:3:3 windows, the left 2 bays probably a
later C19 addition, sashes with glazing bars and C20
casements, deep ashlar eaves band and blocking course, added
dormers. Right return: left bay has a fine semicircular
3-light bow window with attached fluted Ionic columns
supporting a deep entablature, 3 sashes to 1st floor.
INTERIOR: vestibule and entrance hall with green marble and
stone floors, cross-corridor plan with 4 fluted Ionic columns
in hall, panelled ceiling with egg-and-dart, bead-and-reel and
acanthus plaster decoration. Fine tunnel-vaulted stairwell
with divided staircase, ornate iron balusters, round-arched
John Clark also designed the flax mill at Bank Mills, East
Street (qv) for John Hives of the firm of Hives and Atkinson.
John Hives was one of the mill owners who moved from the
increasingly polluted Park Square area to the out-townships in
the early C19 (Beresford p.298). The house was originally
named Gledhow Grove.
(Thoresby Society Publication, LX & LXI, 131 & 132: Beresford
MW: East End, West End. The Face of Leeds 1684-1842: Leeds:
1988-: 298; Linstrum D: West Yorkshire Architects and
Architecture: London: 1978-: 83).