You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 465395  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 465395
Location: CARR MANOR HOUSE, STONEGATE ROAD (south east side)
  LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 26 September 1963
Date of last amendment: 26 September 1963
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LEEDSSE23NESTONEGATE ROAD, Meanwood714-1/6/978(South East side)

LEEDS SE23NE STONEGATE ROAD, Meanwood 714-1/6/978 (South East side) 26/09/63 Carr Manor House GV II Large house. 1881, extended c1904. By ES Prior. For Thomas Clifford Allbutt, MD. Additions c1904 by Francis Bedford for Col Frederick William Tannett-Walker. Snecked walling of dressed millstone grit, slate roofs. In Vernacular Revival style. Asymmetrical. 2 storeys with attics. S front: 5 gables, the 2 right set back and the centre projects; the left 2 gabled bays probably the Bedford additions. Entrance with stepped hoodmould right, mullion and transom windows to ground floor, mullions to upper floors, leaded lights. Sundial above 1st-floor window centre, embattled parapet right, stepped gable ends, stone chimneys with moulded cornices at each end and forward of ridge, centre. North range at rear; connecting elliptical moulded arches form entrance to rear courtyard with mosaic floor to entrance porch. INTERIOR: reputed to contain panelled rooms, fireplaces and plaster ceilings all in Vernacular Revival style. Carr Manor was built on the site of Carr House, home of the Oates family 1765, 1868. In 1914 the estate was sold to the Leeds surgeon Sir Berkeley Moynihan, later Lord Moynihan. Leeds Corporation bought the property in 1938 to be lodgings for High Court Judges when sitting in Leeds. (Hopwood WA & Casperson FP: Meanwood; Village, Valley, Industry and People: 1986-: 60; The Architect: 1890-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.