© Mr Dennis Carr
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, ST MICHAELS ROAD (south side)
LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Mr Dennis Carr
20 February 2006
26 September 1963
Date of last amendment:
26 September 1963
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SE2835NW HEADINGLEY LANE, Headingley
714-1/64/777 (South West side)
26/09/63 Church of St Michael
Anglican church. 1884-5. By JL Pearson. In Gothic Revival
style. Coursed squared gritstone, tiled roofs.
PLAN: nave with large clerestory, chancel, N and S transepts,
N and S aisles.
EXTERIOR: tall W tower with thin broach spire and pinnacles.
Turreted E gable of chancel, 2 tiers of 3 lancet windows. West
end: shallow porch between buttresses has double doors with
decorative hinges, attached triple columns, dogtooth
mouldings, statue of St Michael in apex of pitched roof;
4-light window with quatrefoil tracery, 3-stage tower above
has paired 2-light windows and tall stone-louvred belfry
INTERIOR: 3-bay nave, shallow transepts, 3-bay chancel. Nave
has cylindrical columns, attached columns on inner face of
walling rise between clerestory windows to plain chamfered
arches which divide the timber roof. Red and black tiled nave
floor, wooden blocks to seating areas, polychrome marble floor
to chancel. Alabaster octagonal font with carved biblical
scenes on short granite columns; alabaster pulpit by Pearson
has preaching figures and similar short columns; wrought-iron
screen to chancel and S aisle chapel; lectern with polychrome
marble base and brass figures of lions and angels, by Hardman
Powel and Co., Birmingham, the inscription 'TO THE GLORY OF
GOD, EASTER 1889'; reredos by Temple Moore, 1905 is of carved,
gilded and painted wood with figures of Christ in Glory
flanked by St George and St Michael and surrounded by saints
of the early English church.
A brass plaque at the W end of the church records that the
memorial stone was laid 29 September 1884 by the Bishop of
Ripon, the church was consecrated 8 July 1886, the top stone
of the spire fixed 22 October 1890 and the reredos was
dedicated 14 December 1905. A large, impressive church.