© Mr Steve Novak
STABLES AT TEMPLE NEWSAM, TEMPLE NEWSAM PARK
LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Mr Steve Novak
03 September 2000
19 October 1951
Date of last amendment:
19 October 1951
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SE3532 TEMPLE NEWSAM PARK, Temple Newsam
714-1/46/1129 Stables at Temple Newsam
Stable block, now restaurant, exhibition area, offices and
workshops. c1742. Probably by Daniel Garrett, in the Palladian
style of James Gibbs. For Henry Ingram, 7th Viscount Irwin.
Red/brown brick in alternate header and stretcher bond, stone
details, stone slate hipped roof.
2 storeys, 3 bays, courtyard plan. Main entrance on the west
side. Central high round arch, stone impost band, flanked by
lower round-arched niches, small square windows above. Moulded
pediment, original "one-handed" turret clock with an hour
striking movement. Louvred cupola surmounted by fine weather
vane in the form of the Ingram crest (a cock) with the
Viscount's coronet below. Recessed flanking bays of 5 or more
windows with tall small-pane sashes, some round-arched. The
south side (also visible form the house), of 3 bays, the
central bay breaking forward with a central pedimented doorway
flanked by niches, tall sashes to ground floor, square 6-pane
windows to first floor. Segmental arches to openings facing
cobbled yard, mounting block.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
The plan of the stable block is shown on the c1742 map of
Temple Newsam, a matching riding school block was never built.
(Country Life: 12 September 1974: article on Daniel Garrett;
Leeds Art Calendar No.53: Gilbert C: The Park and Gardens of
Temple Newsam: 1964-: 4-9; Leeds City Art Gallery: Guide to
Temple Newsam: 1989-).