© Mr Steve Novak
BARN AT TEMPLE NEWSAM TO NORTH EAST OF THE STABLES, TEMPLE NEWSAM PARK
LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Mr Steve Novak
04 September 2000
19 October 1951
Date of last amendment:
19 October 1951
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SE3532 TEMPLE NEWSAM PARK, Temple Newsam
714-1/46/1120 Barn at Temple Newsam to north-east
19/10/51 of the stables
Barn. Late C17 with later alterations and datestone of 1744,
altered C20. Red brick, stone plinth, quoins, kneelers and
verges of stone; stone slate roof with gable ends, stone
coping, ball finial. Large elliptical headed entrance at
centre. Triangular vents. Stone tablet in S gable end
inscribed '1744', cornice over.
Attached at right angles to N end, E side: lower 2-storey
later C18 cart/shelter shed and stable wing, brick with stone
slate roof, segmental-arched openings, later outbuildings
attached at E end.
INTERIOR: 12 bays, alternate king-post and collar-beam
trusses, a timber wall-plate running along the wall-tops and
the walls have internal buttresses supporting the king-post
tie beams. Above these tie-beams the king-posts have side
braces to the principal rafters and braces to the ridge, short
queen-posts each side. On a tie-beam near the N end of the
building there is the carved date: 'CD 1691111'. 3 tiers of
The barn appears to be the one shown on an engraving made in
1702 by J Kip (see guide book).
(Leeds City Art Galleries: Guide to Temple Newsam: 1989-: 2).