© Mrs Pennie Keech
FORMER PAROCHIAL INSTITUTE, BENNETT ROAD (south side)
LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Mrs Pennie Keech
01 October 2002
22 December 1986
Date of last amendment:
22 December 1986
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SE2736SE BENNETT ROAD, Headingley
714-1/61/722 (South side)
22/12/86 Former Parochial Institute
Meeting rooms for St Michael's parish church, now offices.
1877, converted C20. By George Corson. Coursed squared
sandstone with freestone dressings and Welsh slate roofs.
Gothic Revival style. T-shaped plan with gable end to street
and wing at rear.
2-gable front, the smaller on the left projects forward and
contains the entrance. This has a short column and 2
half-columns with capitals of naturalistic foliage. Above
these are sculpted panels, St Michael and the dragon to the
front, the Royal Arms to the side. Paired lancet to the left,
quatrefoil in gable. The right hand gable has a buttress
flanking the central door with side lights and mullioned
window over. Flanking windows are 3-light mullion and transom.
Large traceried Gothic window above and small lancet in gable.
Diagonal buttress to corner. 2, and 3-light mullion and
transom windows to side elevations and rear wing.
INTERIOR: meeting hall above rooms and offices. Hall with 4
windows either side. Ribbed wooden ceiling of 18 bays, a
central tunnel vault supported on 5 curious decorated
semicircular wrought-iron trusses. The roof is close boarded.
Stone stair with wrought-iron twist balustrade. Main
downstairs room (partitioned) has low relief panelled ceiling.