You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 465519  

Print Page



© Ms Alison Claybourne

IoE Number: 465519
Location: 1-13 BOAR LANE (south side)
  LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Ms Alison Claybourne
Date Photographed: 09 January 2005
Date listed: 22 March 1974
Date of last amendment: 11 September 1996
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LEEDS SE3033SW BOAR LANE 714-1/78/37 (South side) 22/03/74 Nos.1-13 (Consecutive) (Formerly Listed as: BOAR LANE (South side) Nos.1-11 (Consecutive) Trevelyan Chambers) (Formerly Listed as: BOAR LANE (South side) No.12) (Formerly Listed as: BOAR LANE (South side) No.13) GV II Includes: No.4 TREVELYAN SQUARE. Temperance hotel, shops, offices and warehouse, now shops and offices. 1869-72, altered C20. By Thomas Ambler for Alderman John Barran. Red brick, stone dressings, mansard roof with pavilions, grey slates. Ashlar, plain and fishscale grey slate pavilion roof to No.12; contrasting red and orange brick, stone dressings, hipped grey slate roof to No.13. 5 multi-flue stacks. Corner site to left in symmetrical Italianate style; to right Gothic Revival style. 5-storey, 13-window range to Boar Lane, (first floor), most with paired round-headed lights flanked by pilasters, the arches having keystones carved with a cartouche. Windows 5, 8 and 9 have a single similar light; the curved corner to Briggate has the same. Second-floor windows similar, but with plain keystones and small pierced balconies to windows 1, 3, 11 and 13. Square-headed windows to 3rd floor, arranged as lower floors and in moulded architraves. Both entrances, below windows 5 and 9, have plain stone surrounds to a deeply-recessed doorway, the lintel inscribed 'Trevelyan Chambers'; broken segmental pediment above, enclosing cornucopiae and cartouches with bust of Donne (left) and Milton (right). C20 ground-floor shop windows, boarded. Entablatures at sill level decorated with scrolls to first floor, ashlar impost bands, heavy modillion eaves cornice below the 5th, attic, storey; parapet pierced by dormer windows, Nos 1, 3, 11 & 13 having paired round-headed lights beneath elaborate semicircular pediments with oculi. The remaining dormers have keyed architraves under an open triangular pediment, Nos 2 & 12 paired, under a wide pediment with oculi. Left return, (No.27 Briggate): a curved single-light window to street corner; the 3 windows of this facade are identical in detail to the first 3 windows of the frontage to Boar Lane. To right, 4 storeys, 1-window range to Boar Lane of 5 lights linked by stone piers; similar window to 2nd and 3rd floors with increasingly elaborate Gothic tracery based on the Casa d'Oro in Venice. Mid C20 shop front to ground floor. Panelled parapet with quatrefoil piercings. To right again, 4-storey, 1-window range to Boar Lane; 3-window range to right return (former White Horse Street), with lean-to single-storey entrance bay to stairs to right. Full-width 4-light mullion and transom windows to ground and first floors; those to first floor having ornate cusped heads. Similar 2-light window to 3rd floor. C20 shop windows, boarded. Continuous head and sill mouldings; carved and panelled corner shafts terminating in gabled finials with gargoyles; pierced stone parapet. Right return: moulded ogee-arched doorway to right; single-light windows and corner shafts as front. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: John Barran pioneered the mass production of ready-made clothes in Leeds. He owned a shop at No.1 Boar Lane when the street was redeveloped in 1869 and was able to build the present structure as temperance hotel, shops and storerooms. In 1872 the building housed: No.1, J Barran, tailor and outfitter; No.2, tobacconist; No.3, dining room; No.4, brush and fancy warehouse; No.5, boot and shoe manufacturer; No.6, tobacconist; No.7, Thomas Twist, Trevelyan Temperance Hotel; Nos 8 & 9, fish and game dealer; No.10, portmanteau maker; No.11, Brooke Bond and Co, teamen; No.12, SR Burton, wholesale stationer, ink and sealing wax manufacturer; No.13, John H Sugden, tobacconist. 3 years later, upper floors of No.13 also occupied by a revolving shutter manufacturer and a consulting engineer, both probably using the separate entrance via the doorway on White Horse Street. The Temperance Hotel continued to operate until the end of the First World War. The building was probably named after Sir Walter C Trevelyan, 1797-1879, the President of the United Kingdom Temperance Alliance or Sir Charles Edward Trevelyan, (1807-1886), whose career as Governor of Madras, Secretary of State to the Treasury, and in Ireland, made him a well-known contemporary figure whose name was associated with a variety of social questions. Thomas Ambler was employed by Barran to design his model clothing factory and showroom, St Paul's House, Park Square, and other buildings in Boar Lane are attributed to him. (Dictionary of National Biography; Linstrum D: West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture: 1978-: 305, 306, 370; Ryott D: John Barran's of Leeds, 1851-1951: 1951-; Porter T: Directory of Leeds and its Neighbourhood: Leeds: 1873-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.