You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 465550  

Print Page



© Mr Hans Van Lemmen

IoE Number: 465550
Location: HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, BOAR LANE (north side)
  LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Hans Van Lemmen
Date Photographed: 18 May 2003
Date listed: 26 September 1963
Date of last amendment: 26 September 1963
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LEEDSSE3033SWBOAR LANE714-1/78/54(North side)

LEEDS SE3033SW BOAR LANE 714-1/78/54 (North side) 26/09/63 Holy Trinity Church GV I Anglican church. 1721-7. By William Etty. Upper tower added post 1839 by RD Chantrell. Ashlar, roof not visible. PLAN: rectangular 7 x 3 bay plan with slightly projecting central entrance bay and 6-stage tower at west end and apse at east end. EXTERIOR: south side, facing Boar Lane: double 8-panel doors in Gibbs surrounds to bays 1 and 7, the doorway in bay 7 false. Fenestration: 2 tiers, the lower round-arched windows in architraves with keyblocks and alternate triangular and segmental open pediments and apron below sills, the upper windows square with eared and shouldered architraves, a 9-pane frame to far left, the remainder with leaded lights. Giant Doric pilasters, triglyph frieze, cornice and blocking course surmounted by flaming urns. Tower: round-arched belfry window in rusticated surround to first and 2nd stages, paired corner pilasters, Ionic to first stage and Corinthian to 2nd, clock at 2nd stage which has balustrade with urns. The upper 3 diminishing stages in similar style, the top 2 having concave sides; stone cross at pinnacle. North side obscured by C20 additions but upper western window has plain surround. Left return: main entrance centre has 8-panel double doors, fanlight over, in round arch with rusticated surround and keystone; 15-pane fixed-light window above in eared and shouldered architrave with open triangular pediment on console brackets; 2 tiers of windows in flanking bays, giant pilasters as south front, cornice surmounted by open triangular pediment over centre bay, fronting base of tower. Part-lead drain pipes in angles of projecting central bay have moulded rainwater heads and fixing plaques with raised motif of a fleece. Right return, east end: the apse has a large Venetian window; flanking windows, cornice, drain pipes as west end. INTERIOR: 6-bay nave and side aisles, short chancel with segmental sanctuary. Giant Corinthian columns support shallow tunnel-vaulted ceiling with plasterwork motifs including Greek key pattern; original features include panelling to rebate of inner west doors and dado, pews with carved ends of key and scroll patterns, reredos carved with swags of fruit and flowers; pulpit with finely carved and inlaid side panels, the stairs and access modified, sounding board with inlaid star pattern on underside. MEMORIALS: wall memorials include those to James Scott, the first minister, in the blocked or false south door, west end, d.1782. He was the nephew of the founder of the church, Henry Robinson, d.1736, whose Latin memorial is at the centre of the north side, the Classical surround surmounted by a flaming urn and winged cherubs below. Other carved wooden items include the C18 royal arms on the west wall and a pelican feeding her young on the sill of the east window. HISTORICAL NOTE: the design of the building is also attributed to William Halfpenny (Pevsner); the foundation stone was laid in 1722, Etty was providing a design and wooden model in 1723 and the building was consecrated by the Archbishop of York on 10 August 1727. The wooden spire was blown down in 1839 and the upper stages added to the tower. Boar Lane was realigned and the street frontage rebuilt, 1869-c1875; some architectural details were probably influenced by the surviving church. (Linstrum, D: West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture: 1978-: 376).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.