© Mr Steve Novak
LEEDS BRIDGE, BRIDGE END
LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Mr Steve Novak
06 May 2001
08 May 1974
Date of last amendment:
08 May 1974
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SE3033SW BRIDGE END
714-1/78/57 Leeds Bridge
Road bridge over River Aire. 1870-73. By T Dyne Steel,
engineer. Steel buckle plate deck supported on wrought-iron
internal arch ribs of compound riveted section; cast-iron
fascia arch ribs, rusticated ashlar abutments. Segmental arch
with scrolled motif in spandrels, parapet with interlocking
circles and moulded rail; coat of arms of Leeds at centre.
The oldest crossing point in the town, the site of the
medieval and later cloth markets and until 1818 the only dry
crossing of the river. The Aire was bridged at 5 other points
between 1818 and 1870 but it was estimated (c1869) that each
Saturday 4,000 vehicles and 55,000 foot passengers crossed
Leeds Bridge into the town. The cost of replacement was more
than »50,000 and many of the buildings on the approach roads
south of the river were replaced at that time.
(Fraser D: A History of Modern Leeds: 1980-: 137; Construction
details supplied by LCC Highways).