© Mr Geoffrey R. Handford
CITY ART GALLERY, ALEXANDER STREET (west side)
LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Mr Geoffrey R. Handford
31 March 2003
26 September 1963
Date of last amendment:
26 September 1963
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SE2933NE THE HEADROW
714-1/75/76 (North side)
26/09/63 City Art Gallery and Henry Moore
Formerly known as: Municipal Buildings including Art Gallery
and Library CALVERLEY STREET.
Leeds City Art Gallery. 1886-88, altered and extended late
C20. By WH Thorp. Alterations and extension on S side,
overlying Centenary Street, 1982, by JV Thorp (City
Architect's Dept) and Neville Condor Associates.
The original range is ashlar, slate and lead roof, 2 storeys;
entrance far right, corner with Alexander Street, the ground
floor large flat-headed mullion and transom windows with
pilasters between are concealed by the later addition which
has entrance lobby and Henry Moore Gallery. Steps and ramp to
front, statue of reclining woman by Henry Moore.
INTERIOR: original range has entrance hall with fine stone
divided staircase and a statue of Queen Anne by Andrew
Carpenter, 1712; library with gallery and cast-iron columns.
The statue of Queen Anne came from the demolished Moot Hall,
Briggate, built 1630, demolished 1820.
The Art Gallery was built behind the Municipal Buildings which
housed the Public Library and the S side faced onto Centenary
Street, with a warehouse block on the S side of that street
obscuring the facade. The library's Reading Room was converted
to a sculpture gallery and the Art Gallery library was the
News Room. A 1st-floor bridge links this building with No.74
The Headrow, premises of the Henry Moore Centre for the Study
of Sculpture (qv).
The City Art Gallery was first added to the list 16/10/91.
(Public Library Local History Collection: Photograph of