© Krystyna Szulecka LBIPP
CHURCH OF ST MARY, TOWN STREET (north side)
LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Krystyna Szulecka LBIPP
21 May 2004
05 August 1976
Date of last amendment:
05 August 1976
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SE32NW TOWN STREET, Middleton
714-1/14/986 (North side)
05/08/76 Church of St Mary
Anglican church. 1845-46. By RD Chantrell. Coursed stone and
ashlar, slate roofs. Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: nave, N and S aisles, chancel and SW tower.
EXTERIOR: 2-light aisle lancets, single-light lancets to
chancel, buttresses and string course at sill level. 5 paired
windows on N side; blocked transept window. Tripartite E
window, attached columns, head stops. 5-light W window
similar, arcading below. 3-stage tower has deep moulded porch,
angle buttresses to lower 2 stages, 3-light belfry windows,
outer lights blocked; embattled parapet.
INTERIOR: tower entrance has Gothic arches to inner and outer
doorways, plank doors with elaborate scrolled hinges. Nave: 5
bays, alternate octagonal and cylindrical shafts, tall
chamfered arches, rafter roof. Chamfered chancel arch, chancel
has rafter roof and border of cusped arches. Brass eagle
lectern; plain roll-moulded bench pews, open cusped arcading
to choir stalls; wooden pulpit with similar cusped open
panels, altar rail similar; stone font at W end has attached
columns, arcading to bowl with figures in spandrels.
STAINED GLASS: east and west windows have early medieval-style
stained glass with figures set in cartouches. C20 reredos has
3 panels with Magi, Resurrection and Presentation in relief.
One of Robert Chantrell's later Leeds churches, before he
removed to London in 1847. His later group of churches, built
1842-47, reflect his interest in the geometric principals of
Gothic architecture. His buildings of this phase have been
described as, 'an accomplished and assured series of Gothic
essays' (Webster, p.117). The building work is reputed to have
been funded by local miners who gave both labour and money;
the steeple was taken down in 1939 after subsidence.
(Publications of the Thoresby Society: Webster C: RD
Chantrell, Architect: His Life and Work in Leeds: 1991-:
116-118; Leeds City Council Countryside Ranger Service:
Middleton Park History Trail: 5).