You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 465662  

Print Page

© Mrs Pennie Keech

IoE Number: 465662
Location: CITY MARKETS, VICAR LANE (east side)
Photographer: Mrs Pennie Keech
Date Photographed: 05 May 2003
Date listed: 08 May 1973
Date of last amendment: 08 May 1973
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LEEDSSE3033NWVICAR LANE714-1/76/413(East side)

LEEDS SE3033NW VICAR LANE 714-1/76/413 (East side) 08/05/73 City Markets GV I Includes: Nos.1-21 NEW MARKET BUILDINGS. Shown on OS map as Kirkgate Market. Market hall. 1904, restored late C20. By Leeming and Leeming, architects; J Bagshaw and Sons of Batley, engineers; secondary rear ranges c1875. Ashlar and carved stone with granite to ground-floor pilasters; grey slate roof with lead casing to domes (some replaced by asphalt), elaborate ridge cresting and finials; cast-iron internal structure with steel framework concealed in the masonry. PLAN: a massive 11-bay structure of 4 storeys and attic, in Flemish style to street frontage and left (George Street) and right (Kirkgate) returns; the rear facade plain and obscured by the earlier secondary market structures, (see below). EXTERIOR: ground floor: central 2-storey entrance, original shop divisions remain, No.13 retaining the original glazed door with scrolled pediment and window with slender glazing bars; shops divided by pilasters and draped putti supporting entablature, frieze and cornice. First floor: rounded arch to 5 bays (one to market entrance the other to windows) and the others with paired casements, ornament includes elaborate scrolls and figures to spandrels and sculptured frieze, cornice over. Second floor: shallow arched heads to paired windows divided by attached Ionic columns; cartouches to keystones. Third floor: 3 and 4 light windows, attached Doric columns, cornice over. Attic storey: walling rises above modillion cornice at bays 1, 4, 6, 8 and 11 to elaborate sculpted gables with scrolls and swags framing 3 round-headed lights to centre, the outer gables having small rectangular windows; 3-light dormers to steeply-pitched roof; elaborate chimneys and 2 French mansard roofs with balustrades and finials and a central Renaissance tiered steeple. At each end of the front on the same plane is a tower feature of the same style surmounted by a domed cupola. Left and right returns: the angles are recessed on the splay and are canted 1:3:1 windows. 2-storey round-arch market entrance with balustrade-topped shops to right and left; Flemish gable at top with large octagonal domed temple with cupola on roof, facades as main front. Rear: plaque commemorating the building of the previous (1875) market on the site is reset in north end at first-floor level, obscured by scaffolding at time of Review. INTERIOR: long hall with clerestory, aisles and central octagon; shops along west and south-west sides (main facade) have offices and former public rooms on upper floors with original details including doors, cast-iron fireplaces, skirting boards, cornices, plaster ceilings; wooden booths or offices on gallery facing into the hall are reached from spiral stone staircases which rise from each side of the corner entrances. These entrances have a giant inner arch of moulded Burmantofts faience and the inner walls of the building are lined with glazed bricks. 24 clustered Corinthian columns, all with brackets decorated with the civic arms and some with the engineer's plaque, support glazed clerestory and upper part of central octagon, horizontal ties and beams are incorporated into decoratively modelled panels and spandrels which include tripartite blank windows framed with scrolls and pediments. Cast-iron brackets in the form of dragons support the mezzanine balcony with ornate rail. Stalls: most retain original design of slim columns with spiral moulding and Corinthian capitals supporting entablature with dentilled cornice and acroteria at the corners. A tall cast-iron tower with clock by Potts of Leeds which originally stood in the centre of the hall was removed to Oakwood, the south boundary of Roundhay Park. Earlier secondary structure to rear: brick rows, including Butcher's Row and Game Row, with arcaded decoration to upper storey open from the main market hall. The 1904 market replaced the 1875 building where the firm of Marks and Spencers was established. The new market was a spectacular addition to the shopping centre of the city which was transformed during the period 1875-1909, the old properties being replaced by the arcades and planned streets. The firm of Leeming and Leeming was responsible for the Borough Market in Halifax and Oldham Market Hall. (A History of Modern Leeds, Fraser D (Ed): Grady K: Commercial, marketing and retailing amenities, 1700-1914: Manchester: 1980-: 194).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.