© Mr Patrick Butler
HUGHENDEN, WYCOMBE, BUCKINGHAMSHIRE
Mr Patrick Butler
28 August 2007
21 June 1955
Date of last amendment:
21 June 1955
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
HUGHENDEN HUGHENDEN PARK
SU 89 NE
4/88 Hughenden Manor
Mansion, now part used as Disraeli museum and offices. 1738 core,
extended late C18, remodelled c.1860 by E.B. Lamb for Benjamin Disraeli,
Earl of Beaconsfield. W. wing added c.1900 for Coningsby Disraeli.
Red and vitreous brick, slate roofs, diagonal brick chimney shafts with
cogged pyramidal caps. 3 storeys and cellars. First floor band course,
string courses at impost levels of first and second floor windows, the lower
string cogged; dentilled cornice; stepped parapet with dentil course and
stone coping; diagonal pinnacles with stone finials; corbelled diagonal
wall-shafts. 8-bay entrance front, the 4 centre bays recessed with single
storey arcade. Ground floor left bays and first floor have cross windows;
tall 3-light transomed windows to ground floor right; horizontal sliding
sashes to second floor, 3-light to outer bays, 2-light to centre. All
windows have narrow horizontal glazing bars and segmental brick hoods
with diagonal flanking pendants. Glazed arcade with 4-centred arches of
3 orders, dentil cornice and parapet as before. Entrance in third arch.
2-storey, 2-bay projection to right, formerly a service block, with matching
c.1900 service wing at right end. Garden front is of 9 bays with canted
projections to bays 3 and 7, stone steps to centre bays, and cellar
windows to remainder. Tall ground floor windows with large arched lower
lights and twin top lights; other fenestration similar to entrance front.
Both fronts have small stone coats-of-arms to centre. Interior: 2 mid
C18 stone panelled fireplaces with keyblocks and cornices;late C18 plaster
ceiling to N.E. top floor room, with moulded cornice and bowl-of-fruit motifs
on frieze. Ground floor rooms and staircase Gothicised by John Norris c.1840
and Disraeli c.1860: fan-vaulting and moulded 4-centred arches to hall;
former library with ribbed ceiling and screen of 2 4-centred arches;
dining room with heavily moulded Gothick alcove, traceried wall panels,
and ribbed ceiling with small wooden pendants; staircase with wooden
balustrade of ogee arches, ribbed plaster soffits and traceried skylights.
Circa 1900 doorcases and alterations to N.E. corner. Between 1848 and
1881 Hughenden was the home of Benjamin Disraeli, Prime Minister 1868 and
1874-80. Now property of the National Trust.