You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 465854  

Print Page



© Capt Colin Wolstenholme

IoE Number: 465854
Location: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH LANE (east off)
  LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Capt Colin Wolstenholme
Date Photographed: 15 March 2004
Date listed: 05 August 1976
Date of last amendment: 05 August 1976
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LEEDSSE23NECHURCH LANE, Meanwood714-1/6/957(East side (off))

LEEDS SE23NE CHURCH LANE, Meanwood 714-1/6/957 (East side (off)) 05/08/76 Church of Holy Trinity GV II Anglican church. 1849. By W Railton. For Mary and Elizabeth Beckett. Coursed squared gritstone with herring-bone tooling, ashlar details, steeply-pitched slate roofs with gable copings and crocketed finials. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: nave of 5 bays with S aisle and gabled porch, chancel with S door, N and S transepts, crossing tower. EXTERIOR: elaborate scrolled hinges to double doors; paired lancet windows to nave, 3 lancets to E window, 4 to W end, paired lancets with tall buttress between to transepts. 2-stage tower with stone broach spire, pinnacles, lucarnes and clock faces. INTERIOR: octagonal nave piers, carved bosses to corbels, high Gothic arched ribbed roof; tall moulded chancel arch; the chancel S door opens into a lobby area with the studded and decorated door to the tower stairs opposite. Original board doors, numbered pews. Octagonal stone font with niches, cover replaced, choir stalls and pulpit 1961. Other C19 features include: eagle lectern given by Mary Beckett, 1880; W window stained glass depicting prophets and apostles in memory of Sir Thomas Beckett of Somerby and Meanwood; N transept window in memory of Marian, wife of Thomas Wolryche Stansfield of Weetwood Grove, d.1861; S transept window in memory of Christopher Beckett of Meanwood, date lost; the E window glazing is a memorial to the founders, given by their brothers and sister, Sir Thomas Beckett bart., Edmund Denison, Henry Beckett and Fanny Marriott. S aisle windows: 2 commemorate Thomas Wolrych Stansfield of Weetwood Grove, died 15 December 1885; a fine pair of windows in Art Nouveau style in memory of Marian and Walter Rowley of Alder Hill, a knight of St John of Jerusalem, died 9 February 1926. A plaque on the N wall of the chancel records that the founders were daughters of Sir John Beckett bart, the Revd George Urquart vicar, Mr Thomas Midgley, churchwarden. The extensive use of the Beckett family name throughout the church compensates for the lack of any inscription on the family burial vault to the east (qv). (Linstrum, D: The Historic Architecture of Leeds: 1969-: 38).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.