You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 466043  

Print Page



© Mrs Pennie Keech

IoE Number: 466043
Location: FORMER MILL WAREHOUSE AT JUNCTION OF MARSHALL STREET AND WATER LANE, MARSHALL STREET (west side)
  LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Pennie Keech
Date Photographed: 13 January 2002
Date listed: 09 March 1987
Date of last amendment: 11 September 1996
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LEEDS SE2932 MARSHALL STREET, Holbeck 714-1/42/847 (West side) 09/03/87 Former flax warehouse to Marshall Mills (Formerly Listed as: MARSHALL STREET (West side) Former Mill Warehouse at junction of Marshall Street and Water Lane) GV II* Includes: No.125 WATER LANE Holbeck. Flax mill warehouse, now commercial premises. 1808, altered C20. For John Marshall. Brick in English garden wall bond (5:1), slate roof. 3-storey, 10-window range. Segmental brick-arched doors and windows, the latter with small-pane glazing and projecting stone sills; some inserted windows; an original door to right of centre and 2nd-floor loading doors on west (yard) side. INTERIOR: yard door, right opens into the original stair well: slate-type stone cantilevered treads, worn and repaired, 2 straight flights to each floor, wooden hand rail; cruciform-section cast-iron columns supporting inverted T-section cast-iron beams from which spring segmental brick arches. This was the first building Marshall built on the south side of Hol Beck when he extended his works in 1808 and it illustrates the early use of the cast-iron frame, being the earliest surviving of his Leeds buildings to use the cast-iron column and beam and brick-arch system. The warehouse stood at the north end of a row of mill buildings on Marshall Street (qqv).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.