You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 466050  

Print Page



©  Krystyna Szulecka LBIPP

IoE Number: 466050
Location: COOKRIDGE HALL WITH FLANKING SCREEN WALLS GATE PIERS AND GATES, COOKRIDGE LANE (east off)
  LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Krystyna Szulecka LBIPP
Date Photographed: 25 June 2004
Date listed: 19 October 1951
Date of last amendment: 11 September 1996
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LEEDS SE24SE COOKRIDGE LANE, Cookridge 714-1/2/625 (East side (off)) 19/10/51 Cookridge Hall with flanking screen walls, gate piers and gates (Formerly Listed as: COOKRIDGE LANE, Cookridge Cookridge Hall including adjoining garden wall to east and west) GV II Country house and flanking walls, vacant at time of survey. 1754-5, retaining C17 rear range at basement level and 1748 kitchen; rear wing extended 1787, additions probably early C19, altered 1992. For Charles Sheffield; architect Mr Stox. Stone from Weardley Stone Delph nearby, ashlar and coursed squared gritstone; slate hipped roofs. L-plan with rear service wing and main range facing S. S front: 2 storeys, 5 bays, the central 3 bays break forward slightly and are pedimented. Central double doors, flanking margin lights, console brackets and entablature. Sashes with glazing bars, most windows blocked or boarded at time of survey, incised wedge lintels; central Venetian window in round-arched recess to 1st floor. First-floor string, cornice, blocking course flanking pediment, 2 large square multi-flue stacks, to rear of ridge, left and right. Right return: 5 bays, on sloping ground, 2 storeys left, 4 storeys right. Steward's accounts provide dates for building phases (Cole, 1986). Bay 1 (main range of 1754): blind window ground floor, sash with glazing bars above; bay 2 (C17 remains, new kitchen range of 1748, improvements c1820): coursed rubble walling, recessed chamfered mullion windows to basement built in edge-tooled ashlar, flat-face mullions to ground and 1st floor, 2 small windows in plain stone surrounds to 2nd floor; bay 3 (1748 servants quarters, added top storey in ashlar 1755): irregular fenestration, plain stone surrounds; bay 4 (1755) paired sashes, plain surrounds; bay 5 (the steward's 'New House' added 1787, probably early C19 alterations): plain surrounds. Rear: service yard set down, with a low wall and flight of stone steps from drive area. The rear of the main range is supported on keyed round arches; C17-style door and mullioned windows below. The N side of the small yard is enclosed by single-storey salting room with stone shelves and game larder, chamfered surrounds to panelled doors with ventilators, mullioned windows, hoodmoulds, string course, moulded blocking course carried round to elaborate stepped arch to gateway through to the front of the 'New House' in rear wing. The 'New House' has a central door with plain jambs, raised lintel, plain window surrounds. INTERIOR: main range has covered panelled front door, entrance hall with egg-and-dart moulding to ceiling cornice, round arch and step down to inner hall now partitioned, stairs removed, reeded architraves to doors, modillion ceiling cornice. Front left: elaborate architrave to doors, panelled window reveals, deep cornice. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: curved flanking walls screen the main facade and drive from the service range and coach-house/stables; to left the wall is approx 85m long and 3m high, of dressed gritstone, near the centre a pedestrian gateway with plain stone surround and remains of a wrought-iron finial, at the outer (west) end a pair of octagonal inner gate piers with shallow pointed capstones, gates missing, outer piers are square with shallow pyramid capstones; attached to the outer pier a 1m railing with arrowhead finials and short wall ramping down to the former haha. The right wall screens the kitchen gardens; of coursed stone backed with red brick, about 50m long with flat coping. At outer end a pair of gate piers with gates: piers of rusticated ashlar, capstones missing; gates have bars with spearhead finials, dog-bars, circles in lock rail. HISTORICAL NOTE: the C17 estate was owned by Thomas Kirke and acquired by Charles Sheffield in 1722. Stewards' accounts record extensive alterations: 1748 new kitchen and servants' quarters; 1753 preparations to alter hall, James Lapish of Horsforth master mason, Thomas Kemp master carpenter, Richard Carr plasterer; the rooms included drawing room, dining room, Miss Sheffield's chamber. 50,000 bricks were made on the site. The haha wall was built about 1760, also probably the screen walls. In 1787 the 'New House' built for the steward, but beds were to be taken there when the hall was full. In 1820 Richard Wormald, a Leeds woollen merchant, bought the estate and undertook further extensive alterations, including building coach house, stable, gatehouse and gates, icehouse and heated garden wall. His work on the house probably included the replacement of the C17 mullioned windows and the building of the game larder and store. (Cole, D: Rectors, Squires Stewards...in Adel and Cookridge: 1986-: 23-30).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.