You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 466113  

Print Page

© Mr Steve Novak

IoE Number: 466113
Location: ST JAME'S HALL, 25-41 NEW YORK STREET (north side)
Photographer: Mr Steve Novak
Date Photographed: 05 May 2001
Date listed: 14 August 1986
Date of last amendment: 11 September 1996
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LEEDS SE3033SE NEW YORK STREET 714-1/79/271 (North side) 14/08/86 Nos.25-41 (Odd) St James's Hall and Westminster Buildings (Formerly Listed as: NEW YORK STREET St James's Hall, now Westminster Chamber) GV II Includes: No.5 HARPER STREET. Temperance hotel, public hall and dining rooms, now shops and offices. 1877, enlarged 1884, altered C20. By Thomas Ambler for WJ Armitage. Red brick, with polychrome brick and stone dressings, C20 flat roof not visible. Gothic Revival style. 4 storeys; an island site with a long elevation to New York Street and short returns. Ground floor: 8 bays of shops, flat-headed fascias left, segmental right, original arrangement with use of cast-iron, brackets supporting dentilled cornice and ball finials on left return; central double doors under a crocketed gable to Westminster Building. 1st and 2nd floors: 8 lancets with colonnettes to right, rising through both floors; centre: 3 arched bays with 2 tiers of windows with traceried heads; left: 3 plainer bays with paired windows. Sashes throughout. 3rd floor: 8 plain sashes to right, 6 paired sashes with arched heads left. Parapet and roof line damaged and repaired. 3-light canted corners, lancets right (Harper Street) and more decorative tracery on left return, the eaves having a stone plaque inscribed 'ST JAMES'S HALL'. INTERIOR: not inspected. The building originally contained coffee, dining, reading and smoking rooms on the ground floor, a lecture room seating 450 on the 1st floor, club rooms and the manager's apartments on the 2nd floor and dormitory apartments for strangers and working men on the 3rd floor. Attic floor destroyed by fire mid C20.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.