You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 466196  

Print Page



© Dr Marcus Sleightholm

IoE Number: 466196
Location: CHURCH OF ST CHAD, OTLEY ROAD (west off)
  LEEDS, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Dr Marcus Sleightholm
Date Photographed: 30 August 2004
Date listed: 26 September 1963
Date of last amendment: 26 September 1963
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LEEDSSE23NEOTLEY ROAD, Far Headingley714-1/6/667(West side (off))

LEEDS SE23NE OTLEY ROAD, Far Headingley 714-1/6/667 (West side (off)) 26/09/63 Church of St Chad GV II* Anglican church. 1868, altered 1910. By Edmund Beckett Denison later 1st Lord Grimthorpe, and WH Crossland; 'east' end rebuilt and lady chapel and organ chamber added 1910, architects J and JH Gibbons. Coursed squared gritstone, snecked walling to 1910 work, red tile roofs, wrought-iron railings and lamp posts. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: aligned N-S, nave with clerestory and low aisles, side chapel, 4-stage tower and porch with steps flanked by railing and lamps at N end, alterations at S (altar) end. EXTERIOR: board door in porch has scrolled strap hinges; S aisle has 2-light windows with quatrefoil or trefoil over, lancet windows; pinnacled tower with slender octagonal spire. 'East' end buttressed, with tall paired arches and central pilaster with foundation stone carved with floriate cross and 'anno dom mcmix' in low relief, crucifix under gable above; window of 1,3,1 lights. INTERIOR: circular columns with Decorated-style capitals of carved foliage, narrow pointed arches, extend through nave to chancel. Baptistry below tower has mosaic paving, steps, rails and oak panelling of 1896, the font is sandstone, low clustered columns and bowl carved with 8-petal flowers; brass eagle lectern given 1875; pulpit of carved oak with figure of St Chad holding a church, given 1914; reredos designed by JH Gibbons and made by Messrs. Boulton and Son 1909: carved canopy above God in Majesty with figures in adoration including an earthly king, Virgin Mary, a bishop, also panels of scripture and symbols of the Evangelists with angels. East window designed and made by Miss ME Aldrich Rope of Chelsea, dedicated 1922: theme of the Redemption of Creation. The mosaic reredos of the original apsidal end is mounted on the wall of the nave: Agnus Dei and winged angels with inscription 'Sursum Corda' ('lift up your hearts').

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.