© Mr Ken Bourne
ST JOHNS HOSPITAL AND ATTACHED FRONT WALL, SOUTH CHURCH STREET (north side)
BAKEWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Mr Ken Bourne
17 September 2003
13 March 1951
Date of last amendment:
13 March 1951
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK2168 SOUTH CHURCH STREET
831-1/4/170 (North side)
13/03/51 St John's Hospital and attached
6 almshouses and attached front wall. Central plaque reads
'The Hospital of St John Founded 1602' but built 1709,
restored C20. Coursed limestone with ashlar sandstone
dressings, stone slate roof.
EXTERIOR: one storey and attic, 6-window range. Symmetrical
composition of 3 pairs, each with pedimented gable over
windows in rhythm 2:2:2. Chamfered plinth; large quoins;
chamfered, quoined door surrounds with deep lintels and
reproduction studded Gothic panelled doors.
Chamfered 2-light mullioned windows with iron casements and
diamond-pane leaded lights. The doorways are paired beneath
centre of each gable and are flanked by windows under a
continuous dripmould. Ashlar stack on ridge behind each gable.
Pedimented gable on left return; right end adjoins The Old
Town Hall, King Street (qv).
The right end almshouse door has no number the remainder are
Nos 1-5 (consec) numbered from the right.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Attached front wall with chamfered copings and round-headed
gatepiers at central opening.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1986-: 75).