© Mr Barry Freeman ARPS
EYE CASTLE, CASTLE STREET (north side)
EYE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK
Mr Barry Freeman ARPS
25 August 1999
15 June 1951
Date of last amendment:
15 June 1951
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TM1473 CASTLE STREET
585-1/7/56 (North side)
15/06/51 Eye Castle
Motte and bailey castle. Motte raised 1066-71 and castle
erected, the latter mostly destroyed in C14. Windmill
constructed upon motte 1561-62, its successor demolished 1844
and replaced with house for Sir Edward Kerrison. This damaged
1965 during gale, partly collapsed 1979. House constructed of
whole flints with brick piers and dressings. No roof. Plan is
irregular enneagon consisting of curtain walls with living
accommodation to south and west. To west side are remains of
winder staircase to first floor, collapsed 1979. South end
with foundations for 3 rooms. Curtain wall with arrow loops.
Remains of late C12 flint curtain wall extends to north-west
down motte to form part of north curtain wall of inner bailey.
Historical note: house built for Sir Edward Kerrison's batman,
who had saved his life during Battle of Waterloo.
Scheduled Ancient Monument, county number 6.
(Paine C: The History of Eye: Diss: 1993-: 4-5).