© Mr Barry Freeman ARPS
THE GUILDHALL, CHURCH STREET (east side)
EYE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK
Mr Barry Freeman ARPS
29 August 1999
15 June 1951
Date of last amendment:
12 February 1998
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TM1473 CHURCH STREET
585-1/7/78 (East side)
15/06/51 The Guildhall
(Formerly Listed as:
Guildhall of St Mary or Upson's
Guildhall of St Mary, now offices and shop. Late C15, probably
for John Upson. Rebuilt 1875 by JK Colling as headmaster's
house for adjoining Eye Grammar school until 1965, now offices
and shop. Timber-framed; machine tile roofs. Nearly
rectangular plan with a short west extension.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. West gable-end faces street.
Exposed close studding throughout. First floor jettied to
south and west. South flank with 5 two- and 3-light casements
to ground floor and 4 to first floor, 3 of which are
elaborated into oriels on heavily carved aprons. Gabled roof
with clustered decorative ridge stack and internal gable-end
stack to east. West gable with 4-light ground-floor casement,
oriel window above fitted with single-light leaded casements
on a richly carved apron and with a hipped plaintile roof.
3-light attic casement. Brattished jetty bressumer and attic
wall plate. South-west corner post has weathered C15 carved
figure of Archangel Gabriel, and south flank retains two
4-centred window heads with carved spandrels. All other timber
INTERIOR: heavy hollow-moulded tie beams on arched braces,
also hollow-moulded. Plan is of 1875.
(Paine C: The History of Eye: Diss: 1993-: 34-40).