You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 468831  

Print Page



© Mr Derek Evans LRPS

IoE Number: 468831
Location: COPSE ROAD CHAPEL AND ATTACHED HALL, COPSE ROAD (north side)
  CLEVEDON, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Derek Evans LRPS
Date Photographed: 02 August 1999
Date listed: 29 August 1997
Date of last amendment: 29 August 1997
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST4071 CLEVEDON COPSE ROAD (North side) 749/l/l0004 Copse Road Chapel and attached hall GV II Congregational Free Church. 1851; attributed to Foster and Wood of Bristol. Limestone rubble of 2 colours and with freestone dressings. Concrete tile roof with open pedimental gable ends and bracketed deep eaves and verges. STYLE: Italianate. PLAN: the auditoriwn lies north-south with rostnun at north end and gallery at south end; and a transept [now partitioned off] on the north end of the east side; entrance vestibule with gallery stair and church rooms on the east side and cellar under the north end. In 1877 a hall was built on the west side. EXTERIOR: the south front has tall tripartite round-headed window with keyblock, transom, bracketed cill continuing as band left and right and window frames with margin panes. Lower range on right with hipped roof with modillion eaves and round-headed doorway on front with keystone and imposts to narrow round-headed side lights; the doorway and side lights set in recessed panels; right-hand [east] return pairs of round-headed windows and transept to right with open pedimental gable, oculus and 2 tall round-headed windows; similarly gabled north end and rounded windows on west side with similar gable to left. The hall on west side has tripartite round-headed windows with moulded string at impost level and cornice above with date 1877 and anthemion antefixae above; hipped roof with wooden clerestory. INTERIOR: open timber roof with carved tie-beams on corbels. Gallery with timber and wrought-iron balustrade [now glazed underneath]. Rostrum with coffered panels and pilastered corners. Seating replaced. Transept now partitioned from auditoriwn. Vestibule has gallery staircase with twisted balusters. Hall has scissor-braced roof

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.