© J. Callon
MONUMENT TO SAMUEL ROGERS AND FAMILY IN NORTH EAST CORNER OF ST MARYS CHURCHYARD, HIGH STREET N8 (south side)
HORNSEY, HARINGEY, GREATER LONDON
15 August 2000
12 November 1997
Date of last amendment:
12 November 1997
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ 3089 HORNSEY HIGH STREET, N8
800/23/10048 Monument to Samuel Rogers and family in north-east corner of St Mary's Churchyard
Chest tomb with attached railings, cl832. Rectangular rendered brick plinth surmounted by a York stone slab set with square fluted cast-iron railings with fleur-de-Lys finials and having corner and centre turned balusters with urn finials. Portland stone memorial sarcophagus with raised and fielded side panels to each face, standing on a base plinth with ogee moulding.
The inscription, in Bodoni Bold capitals, on the north face reads, "In this vault lie the remains of Henry Rogers Esq of Highbury Terrace, died Dec. XXV MDCCCXXXII, aged 58. Also of Sarah Rogers of Regents Park, sister of the above, died Jan. XXX MDCCCLV, aged 82. Also of Samuel Rogers, author of The Pleasures of Memory, brother of the above named Henry & Sarah, born at Newington Green XXX July MDCCLXIII, died at St James Place Westminster XVIII Dec. MDCCCLV". The west face reads, "Henry Rogers 1832, Sarah Rogers 1855, Samuel Rogers 1855".
HISTORY: Samuel Rogers was one of the most celebrated Romantic poets, benefactor of Wordsworth and other poets and patron of Flaxman and Stothard.