© Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB
KINGSGATE BRIDGE, RIVER WEAR
DURHAM, DURHAM, DURHAM
Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB
19 February 2006
29 May 1998
Date of last amendment:
29 May 1998
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
NZ 24 SE DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE RIVER WEAR
1914/6/10001 Kingsgate Bridge
Footbridge over river. 1963.
Ove Arup and Partners (Ove Arup, engineer). Reinforced concrete;
concrete made with white cement and Shap granite and surfaces grit blasted. Consists of two trough shaped lengths of deck, each supported by V shaped legs on single support at base of V. Halves constructed on banks and rotated about base support to meet over middle of river. Connected by bronze expansion joints in the parapets which are in fonn of a T and a U turned through 90 degrees and interlocking, said to symbolise connection of Town and University. Deck drained by water spouts at regular intervals, which give rhythm to the elevations. Tops of parapets shaped for structural reasons and to provide surface comfortable to the touch. This dramatic, beautifully detailed and ingenious bridge was designed by Sir Ove Arup personally and was commissioned by the University of Durham.
Civic Trust Award 1965. Winner, Concrete Society Certificate ofOutstandingPerfonnance (Mature Structures Category) 1993.
[Concrete Quarterly, January-March 1964]