You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 469698  

Print Page



© Mr Richard M. Brown FRICS

IoE Number: 469698
Location: RYSTED WITH ATTACHED GARAGE, FUEL STORES, PERGOLA, TERRACE WALLING, GATEPIERS AND GATES, PILGRIMS WAY
  WESTERHAM, SEVENOAKS, KENT
Photographer: Mr Richard M. Brown FRICS
Date Photographed: 31 August 2002
Date listed: 21 July 1998
Date of last amendment: 21 July 1998
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TQ 45 NW WESTERHAM PILGRIMS WAY 771/40/10057 Rysted with attached garage fuel stores, pergola, terrace walling, gatepiers and gates II House with attached garage, fuel storage, pergola, terrace walls gatepiers and gates. Built in 1930 in International Moderne style, Architect AH Jones but design very much influenced by owner, Mr Percy Rothwell, a university physicist but enthusiast for modern buildings. Cavity brick walls rendered and painted with flat roof covered with bitumen. Two storeys; 2 windows. Metal Crittall windows which were replaced in replica at the end of the 1980s from the same firm. Corner windows with structure above supported partly by the window mullion and partly by an L shaped concrete lintel. Fluted frieze beneath overhanging eaves. Roof tank. South west front is principal front, situated to take advantage of the views, with French windows flanked by sidelights. North west front has entrance with flat hood, metal door flanked by sidelights and low level letter box. Attached to north is flat-roofed garage with original triple door which unusually slides lengthways into the garage. There is attached fuel storage which leads on the north east side to an attached brick and metal three bay pergola of an unusual type, reminiscent of three horizontal glazed casements. Attached terrace brick walls lead south to square brick gatepiers with rendered caps and wooden double doors. Staircase hall has double doors with glazed panels and lozenge decorations and half winder oak staircase with built-in cupboard with gilt bands. Some wood salvaged from a Cunard liner. A H Jones worked for the company. Living room has fluted frieze and a stepped fireplace surround with black tiles and chrome and built-in picture surround above. Built-in oak cupboards have oak shelves and cupboards with lozenge decoration. Original central heating radiators, oak flooring and black tiles to window surrounds. Doors are limed Oregon pine. Master bedroom and another bedroom have built-in cupboards. [Listed in Jeremy Gould "Modern Houses in Britain 1919-1939" in Architectural History Monographs no1 of Society of Architectural historians of great Britain. 1977.]

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.