You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 469980  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Tree

IoE Number: 469980
Location: COLDHAM COTTAGE AND ATTACHED CHURCH OF OUR LADY AND ST JOSEPH, BURY ROAD
  LAWSHALL, BABERGH, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr Peter Tree
Date Photographed: 19 July 2006
Date listed: 05 August 1998
Date of last amendment: 05 August 1998
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LAWSHALL TL 85 NE BURY ROAD 922/2/10031 Coldham Cottage and attached Church of Our Lady and St.Joseph II House (formerly priest's house) and attached Roman Catholic Church. Late C17/early C18 with church of1870. Timber-frame whitewashed and rendered with pantile roof and brick central ridge and right end projecting stacks. House has through-passage plan but perhaps lobby-entry originally. 2 storeys and attic; 2-window range ofC20 casements. Gabled porch and door. C20 windows on right end and to rear where there is a single-storey wing. INTERIOR: framing visible includes chamfered bridging beams and tie beams though those to ground-floor left room may have been replaced. Here an open fireplace with bressumer and hood above. Deep cupboard with 4-panel door with HL hinges could have been lobby for a lobby-entry originally. Right room has C18 fireplace surround. 6-panel back door has massive HL hinges. Winder stairs, plank and panel doors with H or HL hinges. First floor has C18 fireplace surround with early C19 cast iron grate and wide floorboards. 4-panel doors with HL hinges. Attic has wide boards and unusual lengthwise bridging beams with chamfers facing upwards. Floor below may have been raised at some time. Roof has coupled rafters and continues over adjacent church. Church: 1870 with part originally the priest's house. Similar materials. Simply tracery wooden windows, 2 light to front and rear, a single 3-light to ritual west end. Gabled porch front. INTERIOR: Simple interior has set of C19 engravings as the Stations of the Cross and a Crucifixion at east end. Part of roof a simple vault under earlier roof (see above) and part C19 scissor braced. HISTORY: Coldham Cottage was, in C18 and until recently, the local Roman Catholic presbytery. Unti11868 the priest officiated in the chapel at Coldham Hall (qv) but after the sale of the estate in that year a separate church was built utilising one unit of the existing house (kitchen and bedroom with removal of floor) and building on an extension. The whole represents an unusual and rare instance of continuing Catholic use from at least C18. Source: East Anglian Guild Magazine, Vol. 14, Summer 1946.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.