You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 47008  

Print Page



© Mr Ross Niven

IoE Number: 47008
Location: MEDMENHAM ABBEY, FERRY LANE (east side)
  MEDMENHAM, WYCOMBE, BUCKINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Ross Niven
Date Photographed: 02 March 2006
Date listed: 21 June 1955
Date of last amendment: 08 January 1987
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MEDMENHAMFERRY LANESU 88 SW(east side)8/125Medmenham Abbey, Abbey Houseand wall with arch to forecourt

MEDMENHAM FERRY LANE SU 88 SW (east side) 8/125 Medmenham Abbey, Abbey House and wall with arch to forecourt (formerly listed as Medmenham Abbey) 21.6.55 GV II* Former mansion, now 2 houses, on site of and possibly incorporating some masonry of Cistercian Abbey of St. Mary. 1595 for Sir Francis Duffield; ruined folly tower and "cloister" arcade added to S.E. 1755 by Nicholas Revett for Sir Francis Dashwood and the Medmenham Club; W. wing added and remainder very much restored 1898 by Romaine Walker for Mr. Robert Hudson of Danesfield. Dressed chalk block, the tower and N. wing partly of flint. Upper storey of walls facing W. court, and small section of E. front are half-timbered with herringbone brick infill. Only E. porch, N. wing and C18 follies retain much original masonry. Plain tile roofs, brick chimneys with 'V' pilasters and off-set heads. 2 storeys and attic. E. front is E-plan with off-centre 3-storey gabled porch. Irregular moulded mullion and transom windows, mostly of chalk but wooden in half-timbered parts. 2 gabled dormers. Porch and right gable have Tudor hoodmoulds over windows, and c1900 coped gables with small ball finials. Porch also has moulded and stopped doorway with frieze, hoodmould and lozenge panel above. Frieze is inscribed "Fay ce que voudras", the motto of the Medmenham Club. Single storey flat roofed extension infront of bays to left of porch; another small extension in right angle. Attached to front of left wing is C18 folly tower, with ruinous outline, buttresses, arches, and traceried 2-light windows to S. and W. sides. Arches are moulded and 2-centred, on semi-quatrefoil piers with slender angle shafts and moulded caps. E. arch is taller than those to N. and S. Lower bay with similar arches to left. S. front has C18 "cloister" with 4 bays of moulded arches to right. 2 dormers with cross casements and coped gables above. Other fenestration inserted 1898 and C20. Gabled bay and 1898 extension to left. Interior remodelled 1899 and C20.Medmenham Abbey and its grounds provided the setting for meetings of the notorious Medmenham Club or Order of St. Francis of Wycombe, later known as The Hell-Fire Club, in the late 1750s. RCHM I p. 255 Mon.2. VCH III p. 85.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.